Feature Request: 1Password lack of Webmail support

SupaMonkey
SupaMonkey
Community Member

Hey guys,
1Password allows you to store an 'email account' type password. By default though, these dont have a URL field, which is fine - you can just add one manually. However, even doing so, 1Password doesnt understand the URL field. That is go say, when you go to a webmail facility, the email account is not shown as a login option.
The only way to get it to show up in webmail is to save it as a normal 'login' option, but then this kind of defeats the point of classifying it as an 'email account' type password.

Please allow 1Password browser extension to also include 'email account' results when they have a URL set.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.8
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Brave

Comments

• Hey @SupaMonkey

The Email Account category is specifically designed to help you set up a mail client like Apple Mail, Outlook, Thunderbird, and so on. That's why it asks for things like server addresses, port numbers, authentication details, etc.

If you're using webmail, none of those things are needed, so you're quite right to use a Login for that. If you routinely use your email service through a client and through webmail, you could link the Login and the Email Account together, to be able to hop between them easily: Link related items in 1Password.

Let me know how that works out for you. :)

— Grey

• SupaMonkey
    SupaMonkey
    Community Member

Thanks Grey, and I understand that 'email account' types are designed to setup email clients. However, I am sure I am not alone in using an email account that I 'every now and then' / secondarily use via webmail.
    Why have two 1Password items when I could just have one?
    Why have the extra step of linking items when 1Password could just recognise an 'email account' has an URL?

I dont want to sound ungrateful, but I always hate it when I take the time to provide feedback to a products team so they can improve their product and am met with workarounds/alternatives. As mentioned in my original post, I was aware of what 1Password was doing and found the workaround myself (and linking items is just another workaround), but I feel like 1Password could just be better without such a workaround.

Anyway, use it, dont use it - up to you guys.

• @SupaMonkey

1Password in the browser typically only autofills Login and Identity items, but I can see the value in being able to autofill other types as well. Our product team regularly look through the 1Password Community for feedback, but in this case, I've specifically filed a feature request that will highlight that to them. I can't say for sure if or when that change will be made, of course, but it'll be on their radar for their consideration.

ref: IDEA-I-2049

• SupaMonkey
    SupaMonkey
    Community Member

Thanks @GreyM1P - much appreciated

• @SupaMonkey – Any time! If you need anything from us, you can always post here or email us directly at support@1password.com and we'll be happy to help.

This discussion has been closed.