[Feature Request]: Add "Numbers" and "Symbols" to Memorable Password Generator Recipe

Options
Kirkvan
Kirkvan
Community Member
edited October 2022 in Mac

I prefer the "Memorable" password generator recipe vs. "Smart Password", as they are easier to type in the rare circumstances where manual entry is required.

I would like to see the option to have the Memorable password generator recipe include options to add a random number and symbol characters to the suggested password (as these are often required by sites when generating new passwords).

Like this:

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.8
OS Version: 12.6
Browser:_ Safari, Firefox, Chrome

Comments

• Hey @Kirkvan

We already include the option to have numbers and symbols in Memorable passwords – you'll need to change the Separator option, like this:

Hope that helps! :)

— Grey

• Kirkvan
    Kirkvan
    Community Member
    edited October 2022
    Options

Yes, thank you! I'd missed that option. Ultimately, I'd love a period as the separator, with the option to add numbers and symbols, but this'll work!

(and please re-re-readd me to the list of people requesting that that Password Generator be added back to the 1Password app, not just the browser extension)

Kirk out

• @Kirkvan – You're welcome! Just so that I can add it to the conversation about the password generator, can I ask your use case? The screenshot I showed was from the main 1Password app after clicking New Item > Password, so I'd like to be able to pass on your comments to the design team about why that doesn't work for you.

• thadjudkins
    thadjudkins
    Community Member
    Options

To reiterate Kirk's comment/request about adding numbers and symbols to the memorable-password option, I think that it would be a great add-on. Right now it's inconsistent that you can choose "random" and then toggle those characters for insertion, but you can't do the same thing for memorable-passwords. I think that one of the most common reasons that people choose this option is so that passwords are easier to remember briefly, much like a phone number is easier to copy when represented as 789-867-5309, when you have to manually type them (e.g. websites/apps that don't allow pasting into password boxes and won't autofill). By just replacing the delimiter with a random character/number you've simply recreated the "random" password type with numbers and symbols selected. Thus we end up with "trog!FEEH6on?wral0oun" when we wanted "tr!g-FEEH-0n-wral-6un" and just end up manually editing memorable passwords to add required elements instead. Thanks!

• Hi @thadjudkins,

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback here, I've added a vote for you to our internal tracker on the topic! I agree that this would be a useful addition to our password generator and that special consideration should be made for the use cases in which folks prefer the "memorable password" option.

Let me know if you have any questions or additional feedback and enjoy your weekend. 😊

ref: IDEA-I-1469

This discussion has been closed.