How to populate character x and y of a memorable password

Options
TBoned87
TBoned87
Community Member
edited October 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi

Annoyingly a lot of sites still use the method of provide character 3 and 6 of your memorable password.

Although you can store it and bring it up in large type which makes identifying that character easier..thats useful.

Is there a trick to storing that word so it auto populates, i am guessing its quite tricky and varies by site, based on how they identify those fields?

Thanks in advance

1Password Version: 8.x.x
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS
Browser:_ Edge

Comments

• Hey @TBoned87,

You are right in that filling on these websites can be tricky for 1Password. Can you point me at the page in question so we can do some testing and best advise?

Thank you!

• TBoned87
    TBoned87
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there
    Well as an example TSB bank login do it.

My guess is I need to store each character here in the appropriate labeled input box
    1st box
    <input label="charXPos" class="col-xs-12 form-control ng-pristine ng-invalid ng-invalid-required ng-valid-maxlength ng-touched" name="charXPos" id="charXPos" placeholder="2nd" maxlength="1" ng-change="checkValidation(memorableInformationForm, 'charXPos','X')" ng-keypress="blockSpecialChar($event)" ng-model="chars.testX" required="">

2nd box
    <input label="charYPos" class="col-xs-12 form-control ng-pristine ng-invalid ng-invalid-required ng-valid-maxlength ng-touched" id="charYPos" name="charYPos" placeholder="5th" maxlength="1" ng-change="checkValidation(memorableInformationForm, 'charYPos','Y')" ng-keypress="blockSpecialChar($event)" ng-model="chars.testY" required="">

3rd box
    <input label="charZPos" class="col-xs-12 form-control ng-pristine ng-untouched ng-invalid ng-invalid-required ng-valid-maxlength" id="charZPos" name="charZPos" placeholder="9th" maxlength="1" ng-change="checkValidation(memorableInformationForm, 'charZPos','Z')" ng-keypress="blockSpecialChar($event)" ng-model="chars.testZ" required="">

I have by using the save login and entering these characters first been able to store the individual chars, as separate fields in the 1password record. (not ideal as when or if i change that then I have to update all those fields also)

I was thinking in 1Password maybe a field that contains a password can be marked in such a way that user can pull out each character when prompted

In this case the password chars were just stored as
    Character 2: etc.. in 1 password.

Once you have the naming convention I think having an option to split the memorable word into characters that can be accessed individually would work.

Its a tricky interaction

• TBoned87
    TBoned87
    Community Member
    Options

I just noticed it actually stored it as a field type you cannot add through the UI. (After using the save login after filling the form out)

This I thought was type 'password', but it's not.

How do you manually add field type of 'special character'?

• Thank you for sending this over @TBoned87

Banking websites are known for making it notoriously difficult for password managers to autofill. I am unable to access the specific page to test it out but based on the information you have provided I’m not sure we will be able to auto fill these fields.

It looks like the ID of the fields in this case is ‘charXPos’, ‘charYPos’ and ‘charZPos’. I’m not sure labelling the fields after these will help in this scenario as it’s likely that each time you log in, the website will require a different 3 characters. The ID of the field will remain the same but the place holder text telling you which character to input will differ.

I think in this scenario I would recommend saving each character of your password as you have done so and then dragging and dropping the characters into the fields when required.

I hope this makes sense, I’m sorry I can’t be of more assistance!

• TBoned87
    TBoned87
    Community Member
    Options

OK thanks I do like your software i always recommend it to family and friends and trying to suggest we use it at work to.

• TBoned87
    TBoned87
    Community Member
    Options

OK thanks I do like your software i always recommend it to family and friends and trying to suggest we use it at work too.

• Thank you so much @TBoned87 😊

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

This discussion has been closed.