Troubleshooting why fingerprint is never being prompted

Options
bgianfo
bgianfo
Community Member

Hello,

I am running the latest 1Password for Linux Beta, on Ubuntu 22.04.1 with the standard Gnome 42.4 / Mutter DE + WM. I have a finger print and password enrolled for my user. I use either the fingerprint or the password to login to my account daily.

When I enable "Unlock using system authentication service" in the settings for 1Password,
I'm only ever prompted for my user's password, and never prompted or shown an option for fingerprint.

Is there a way to troubleshoot / debug this on my side? The documentation seems to be lacking a bit here for the Linux client, it just kind of assumes the happy path and doesn't provide much information on the expected configuration for getting fingerprint auth to work.

Thanks,

• Brian

1Password Version: 8.9.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• bgianfo
    bgianfo
    Community Member
    Options

I forgot to mention that I did install the .deb package, not the snap.

• Hey @bgianfo, thanks for reaching out. We can certainly do some additional troubleshooting to figure out what may be going wrong here.

To get started, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Linux device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Linux)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+linux@1password.com.

With your email please include:

We'll look forward to hearing from you!

• kalbas
    kalbas
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! I ran into the same issue, and managed to make it work by following this answer when trying to make fingerprint work for sudo as well.

• Hi all.

As @kalbas referenced (thank you!), you'll need to run sudo pam-auth-update and use the Up and Down arrow keys and the Space bar to turn on "Fingerprint authentication". This applies to Ubuntu for sure, but may well also apply for other Debian-based distros.

— Grey

This discussion has been closed.