1Password 8 not being seen by Spotlight

Options
studiosteve
studiosteve
Community Member

I use spotlight to open most apps, however 1Password 8 never appears as an option when searching.

I've restarted, I've reindexed, I've made sure it's not in a folder that's ignored by spotlight etc. All to no avail.

I never had this issue with 1Password 7.

Am I the only one experiencing this?
Does anyone have any other ideas I can try?

Many thanks

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @studiosteve! 👋

Are you trying to use Spotlight to search for items that are saved in 1Password or are you searching for the 1Password 8 app itself? If it's the latter then can you double-check the following:

1. Click on the  in the menu bar.
    2. Click System Preferences.
    3. Click Spotlight.
    4. Make sure that "Applications" is checked.
    5. Click on the Privacy tab.
    6. Make sure that neither the 1Password app itself or the Applications folder is listed here. If they are then remove them from the list.

Then wait a few minutes and try to search for 1Password again. If that still doesn't work then can you tell me if you can still successfully search for other apps using Spotlight on your Mac?

-Dave

• studiosteve
    studiosteve
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I'm searching for 1Password in order to open the application.

I can confirm that 1Password is not in the privacy tab and that Applications is checked.

I've just reindexed Spotlight and 1Password still doesn't appear as an option (1Password for Safari does!).

And yes, all other applications appear in spotlight when I search for them.

I've never had this happen before. Also, 1Password 7 worked fine in this way.

It's really perplexing!

• @studiosteve

How unusual! When you say you've reindexed Spotlight, can I ask what method you used for that? If you haven't already, try adding Macintosh HD (or whatever the drive containing the Applications folder is called) to the Privacy tab of Spotlight preferences, waiting a minute or two, then removing it.

Let me know and I'll be happy to help further.

• studiosteve
    studiosteve
    Community Member
    Options

I was reindexing spotlight with a terminal command sudo mdutil -E /

I've just tried the method you described and now it's working. Thanks for your help.

• @studiosteve

I'm happy to hear that Grey's suggestion resolved the issue. 😊

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.