Option to disable Drag&Drop

Options
graywolf
graywolf
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I am a long time 1Password user and I love it so much that when I switched back from mac to windows 1P was the only software that survived that transition. I really would love the option to disable Drag&Drop. The reason being is that it is simply buggy, I never use it intentionally and when it happens it tends to freeze the apps in the foreground and then paste the password into an app (like WhatsApp instead of the password prompt) where it really doesn’t belong. So, a simple switch to turn it off would be awesome.

(I am using 1P as App on Windows)

LG
graywolf

1Password Version: 8.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @graywolf,

Thanks for being a long time user of 1Password and making this request for an option to disable the drag and drop functionality. I'm happy to help look into this.

I'm sorry to hear that you are seeing buggy behaviour with this feature when not intentionally using it. This is not something I've seen in the past and after some testing, unable to recreate. I'd like to learn more and ask if you can provide steps that cause this behaviour to trigger and from which screen in the app you are using? For example, the item details pane or from new window opened for an item (Ctrl + O).

Once we have a better understanding of what causes this or if you're seeing some unintended behaviour, we can pass the details along to our team. We appreciate you reporting this.

• graywolf
    graywolf
    Community Member
    Options

Hey mike,

the issue is that I am not able to put together a routine that reproduce that behavior every time but what I noticed is that it usually happens when I click on the password field (to copy it) and move the mouse immediately after the click.

I guess you will have a hard time or reproducing that, but I can assure you that this happens often enough. Its also not related to my hardware, it’s a gaming machine that I use as daily driver.

Thanks,
    GW

• Hello again @graywolf,

I appreciate the update here and letting us know this happens when clicking on a password field to copy and moving the mouse immediately after.

In your example you mentioned WhatsApp - when you saw this behaviour, was it in the foreground when copying the password field? I've done some additional testing with Notepad in the foreground. However, when clicking I see a normal item copied message. When quickly moving the mouse after clicking, I see the expected drag and drop to Notepad.

While I can't make any promises about when or if this is at all possible, I've filed your request for an option to disable the drag and drop functionality with the product team.

In the meantime, if you discover anything that contributes to this drag and drop behaviour you've noticed, please let us know. We'd like to take additional steps to understand what might be causing these issues you are seeing. Thanks!

ref: IDEA-I-2131

• graywolf
    graywolf
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Mike, I appreciate that. Its not easy to reproduce but what I noticed is that when I click to copy the password and the movement is immediately after the click 1P might think that I want to drop the password but gets confused where and start to freeze.

It would be great if that gets implemented. Thanks, 😊

• You're most welcome, @graywolf!

This discussion has been closed.