ssh-agent on linux: sign_and_send_pubkey agent refused operation

focusaurusfocusaurus
Community Member
edited October 24 in SSH

I'm trying to get ssh-agent integration working on linux with 1password 8. When I try a git pull to an ssh-based server, auth via the agent fails with the following relevant line from verbose output:

debug1: Next authentication method: publickey
debug1: Offering public key: (redacted) agent
debug1: Server accepts key: (redacted) agent
sign_and_send_pubkey: signing failed for ED25519 "(redacted)" from agent: agent refused operation

The 1password ssh agent is running. I can see my key listed in the output of ssh-add -l.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: arch linux with kernel 6.0.2-arch1-1
Browser:_ N/A

Comments

• brian.f_1Pbrian.f_1P

Team Member

Sorry to hear you’re running into a problem with the ssh agent.

Are you able to authenticate directly via ssh to anything? Try ssh -T [email protected] (this assumes GitHub) and let us know the results.

And just to check, have you gone through our Developer Documentation: https://developer.1password.com/docs/ssh/agent/? Linux requires Polkit and a non-Snap install for the ssh agent to work.

• focusaurusfocusaurus
    Community Member

I get the same 'agent refused operation' error no matter which host I'm connecting to.

❯ ssh -T [email protected]
    sign_and_send_pubkey: signing failed for ED25519 "/home/plyons/.ssh/id_ed25519" from agent: agent refused operation
    [email protected]: Permission denied (publickey).

• focusaurusfocusaurus
    Community Member

I'm on arch and I have extra/polkit installed and 1password 8.9.8-9 and 1password-cli 2.7.3-1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file