Can you explain the password for Username on the "1Password Account" key in my vault?

Options
raykski
raykski
Community Member

I'm piloting 1Password (Mac OS & IOS). I created my account, setup and started playing. I quickly realized the password I setup to open the vault is too cumbersome to be entering, especially from a phone. So I changed the password via my MAC desktop where I initially created the vault. I used the webpage https://my.1password.com/profile to do this, clicking on the "Change Password" option. I did see that change propagate to my IOS devices almost immediately. However, even though the new password appears in my vault in the "1Password Account" key, I can't sign into the 1Password MAC app with the new password. I must use the old password. Yet the IOS devices seem to be working with the new password.

Am I misunderstanding the 1Password Account key in my vault? If so, then how do I change the password to sign into 1Password from my MAC, again the MAC where I initially installed 1Password.

Furthermore, why does the Secret Key in the "1Password Account" key not match my true Secret Key? In fact the Secret Key field in the 1Password Account key isn't even in the same format as the Secret Key in my Emergency Kit. Is the Secret Key in the 1Password Account key something entirely different??

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.8
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:1password account

Comments

• raykski
    raykski
    Community Member
    Options

I have an update. Turns out although the key "1Password Account" has a password in it, that password did not match the password for my account (duh). It seems that when I hit the "Change Password" button, got the Change Password popup where you're asked to enter your old password, your new password and confirm the new password. With each entry on the new password, 1Password asks to save the password, which apparently I answered 'yes'. This I believe created the '1Password Account' key and filled in my login password. But then why didn't the password stick? Best I can guess is that I hit the save password button but didn't properly execute the 'Change Password' in the end (I'm guessing here). So the key got updated in the vault but the password did not.

As for my IOS apps, well apparently they didn't have the new password and instead were relying on FaceID against the old password to login me in there. Once I resubmitted the change, my IOS devices now required me to reenter my password which was the new password.

So problem is somewhat solved, but back to my original question. What is the password for in the '1Password Account' key in my vault? It seems to be detached from the login process, so what is it?

• Hi @raykski,

Apologies for the delay here, thanks for sharing your update! To confirm, we're discussing the item automatically created in your Private vault that contains your 1Password account credentials? If so, this should contain 3 key pieces of information: your email address, account password, and Secret Key. Changing any one won't change the others, so it's possible you changed your account password while your Secret Key remained the same. Once you've logged in on a device, you typically won't need to enter your Secret Key again, so while it often seems detached from the sign in process, it's still a vital part of your 1Password account security.

In case you'd like more information about Secret Keys:

Let me know if I've misunderstood the question though and I'll be happy to help. 🙂

• raykski
    raykski
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Andrew. Consider this Post closed.

• @raykski

I'm happy that Andrew was able to answer your questions. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.