Unlocking 1Password 7 with Apple Watch does not work in Ventura?

Options
mixture
mixture
Community Member

Just upgraded to Ventura. Still using 1Password 7.

Noticed unlocking 1Password with Apple Watch no longer works for me.

Went to 1Password Preferences -> Security. There's no longer a toggle for enabling or disabling unlock with Apple Watch, but instead a button for "Set Up Apple Watch". When I click that, it takes me to System Settings -> Privacy & Security, but it's not clear what I should enable there.

Unlocking Mac itself with Apple Watch works fine in Ventura. So the issue is with 1Password7?

I guess 1Password 7 may no longer support unlocking Apple Watch when using Ventura, but I don't want to upgrade to 1Password 8 before YOU GUYS, AFTER MONTHS OF WAITING, FINALLY GIVE US THE ABILITY TO DISABLE AUTOSUBMIT OF LOGINS, as per: https://1password.community/discussion/129349/how-do-i-disable-form-autosubmit/p1

1Password Version: 7.9.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.0
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mixture:

Thanks for reaching out. I wasn't able to immediately replicate this on my MacBook using 1Password 7 and macOS Ventura.

If you'd like us to take a closer look, a diagnostics report for 1Password 7 would be best:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: url
    • Your forum username: username

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here.

With all that said, the nightly build of 1Password 8 for Mac as of today has a setting you might be interested in:

If you'd like to give the nightly build a try after installing 1Password 8 for Mac, Preferences > Advanced has the option to pick which release channel you're on.

Jack

• mixture
    mixture
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Jack.P_1P

It actually fixed itself; how, no clue. I went to click the "Set Up Apple Watch" in 1Password7 settings a couple of times, each time it opened the System Settings -> Privacy & Security, but one last time while I was in the Privacy & Security window, Unlock with Apple Watch setting in 1Password7 became active and enabled automatically, like magic. I didn't need to even click anything in Privacy & Security. It seemed to be enough that 1Password7 opened that window once enough many times...

Been working fine all day today so seems to be OK.

But looking forward to upgrade soon to 1Password8 once you get the option to disable autosubmit from Nightly to stable. About time we get this option, but better late than never!

• @mixture – Glad to hear things are working! If you need any other help or have any questions, please let us know. :)

• Nepherte
    Nepherte
    Community Member
    Options

I'm actually experiencing the same issue. However, I'm using 1password8. Sporadically, it doesn't want to offer me the option to unlock the app with my apple watch, despite it working in macOS. This seems to happen from Ventura onwards.

• @Nepherte

I made a reply in a different thread which contains some troubleshooting steps. Could you give them a try and see how they work for you?

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/662544/#Comment_662544

• Nepherte
    Nepherte
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P I have verified that focus is disabled (on both mac and watch). The mac and watch are fully up to date, and so is 1password8. I have rebooted the mac (which on m1 effectively resets the smc). None of that helped with the issue.

I have just toggled off/on the 'unlock with apple watch' under mac settings. Let's see how that goes.

• @Nepherte

That's usually all that's required, but if you find you're having to do that routinely, run through those steps, especially signing out and back in to iCloud, to see if that shakes it loose. Or, if you ever want help directly, you can email support@1password.com and we'll be here. :)

• mixture
    mixture
    Community Member
    Options

I still btw have this issue. The Unlock with Apple Watch option turns off by itself in 1Password settings every once in a while - sometimes it sticks for a day, other times it turns off a couple of times per day.

But it works very reliably with macOS unlocking, so unlocking Mac itself with the Watch has no trouble.

@Nepherte, I tried that as well, toggling off and on the Unlock with Apple Watch in Mac's System Settings, but the 1Password issue remains :( Let me know if it no longer happens for you though.

Frustrating because this never happened to me in Monterey - unlocking 1Password with the Watch was very reliable.

• @mixture

I'm sorry to hear that you're still running into issues with Apple Watch unlock on your Mac. While 1Password 7 is no longer supported, and I recommend that you update to 1Password 8 to take advantage of the latest bug fixes and updates, we'll certainly try to help as far as possible. Can you send in a diagnostics report so that the team can look into what might be going wrong?

The instructions on how to send a diagnostics report are here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/662309/#Comment_662309

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.