Why is 1Password opening in the background when I manually launch it?

Options
duckydan
duckydan
Community Member

When I click on 1Password in the dock, it opens behind the active window. That is annoying because I am waiting for it to show and then have to dig for it.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 12.6
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:Why is 1Password opening in the background when I manually launch it?

Comments

• duckydan
    duckydan
    Community Member
    Options

To be clear, I don't have it running at all before I click it in the dock. I don't use any of the browser extensions and that thing where it's always running. I don't like that stuff.

• Hello @duckydan! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that 1Password is opening behind the active window on your Mac. I can't reproduce the issue here on my end and I'd like to gather a little more information:

1. Are you using macOS Spaces at all to create multiple desktops?
    2. Do you have Touch ID or Apple Watch unlock enabled for 1Password?
    3. By "that thing where it's always running" do you mean that you've disabled "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" in 1Password's preferences?
    4. Does the same thing occur when you open 1Password using Spotlight rather than clicking on the icon in the Dock?

I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

-Dave

• nlaffan
    nlaffan
    Community Member
    Options

Since the upgrade to 1Pass 8 this is happening to me as well. For some reason Chrome stays in the foreground when I open 1Pass, forcing me to essentially open it twice. In response to the above questions:

1. Not using multiple desktops.
    2. Don't have auto-unlock.
    3. I do not keep 1Pass running, neither as a browser extension nor as a menu item.
    4. This only seems to happen when using Spotlight to open it (which I use for everything) and Chrome (where I do not have the plugin enabled). Seems like maybe it's expecting the plugin somehow? Also, to keep things mysterious this doesn't happen every time. Maybe 3-4 times a day for me, which, like duckydan mentioned, is extremely irritating.

Hope this helps!

Using:
    1Password for Mac 8.9.8 (80908009)
    MacOS 12.6.1 (21G217)
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

This discussion has been closed.