IOS Safari WILL NOT Let me use Fingerprint to Open/Unlock [SOLVED]

drummerjg
drummerjg
Community Member
edited November 2022 in iOS

View 1Password's Approved Answer

I cant tell you how frustrated I am with all the little issues after upgrading to v8. The latest aggravation is with the IOS app. I simply cannot get it to use my fingerprint to unlock in Safari. I have set/reset the main settings in the app. I have turned the browser extension on/off and yet every time I am in Safari and try to use 1Pass it makes me enter my master password. What the heck is going on? v7 worked flawlessly. v8 has me wondering if I need to find a new password manager. Im that frustrated!!!! FWIW I can unlock the app fine with my fingerprint but not the extension.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:iOS wont allow use of fingerprint

Comments

• Hi @drummerjg - Thanks for your message.

With 1Password in Safari, both with version 7 and 8, we’ve temporarily disabled Touch ID and Face ID due to changes in iOS 16. We understand the importance of biometrics, with the security and convenience it offers, and are working with our partners at Apple.

While I don't have any specific news to share around an ETA, this is a high priority issue and the team is hoping to a resolution in the near future. We appreciate your feedback I'm sorry for any frustration caused.

• drummerjg
    drummerjg
    Community Member

Thank you for the prompt response. I assume this is an Apple iOS issue? Kind of frustrating to not be able to use the tool as designed but I hope the fix is out soon.

• @drummerjg

There was a change made in iOS 16 that meant that 1Password couldn't use biometric unlock in Safari in the way that we wanted to. From what we've seen, iOS 16.1 includes changes that mean we should be able to bring biometric unlock back to Safari, so our development team are hard at work making that happen. There's no solid timescale on when that'll happen right now, but as Mike said, it's a high-priority project and I'm hopeful we'll see movement on it in the near future.

• bradical
    bradical
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Did this include requiring manually unlocking the extension on each use? I’m noticing even when I’ve configured extension to lock after 2 weeks, it seems to lock immediately after I close it and try to use it again. Note, I’m still on iOS 15

• drummerjg
    drummerjg
    Community Member

radical...I had/have the same experience. Every time I want to use the browser extension I have to unlock it, regardless of the setting I have for that interval. Drives me nuts!!!

• donald24
    donald24
    Community Member

This is so frustrating — I‘ve never had to enter my master password more often than in the last weeks… was even thinking to change the complexity to something weaker….

• hegguardo
    hegguardo
    Community Member

The biometrics issue has been ongoing since at least 12th August:
    https://1password.community/discussion/132325/faceid-not-available-in-ios-safari-extension-version8

The separate issue with the ‘Reauthorize After’ timer not working was originally raised and continues to be discussed here:
    https://1password.community/discussion/133339/safari-extension-started-asking-for-password-for-every-auto-fill

1P have provided no fix ETA for either issue so in my opinion it is better to add your voice to the original threads to highlight the age and impact of these issues.

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2022

Hi folks,

My latest knowledge of the "reauthorize after" issue is that the removal of biometric unlock in 1Password for Safari on iOS took away any safe place for us to store the secret that encrypts your data. This is why you're prompted to unlock 1Password for Safari repeatedly using your account password.

Fortunately, a Grey mentioned above, iOS 16.1 includes changes that will allow us to bring back biometric unlock for 1Password for Safari and fix both issues and our development team is making a fix for this a priority.

-Dave

• tortugonal
    tortugonal
    Community Member

Fixed this morning in a new App Store release

• Dave_1P
    edited November 2022

1Password Approved Answer

Hello folks,

1Password for iOS/iPadOS 8.9.7 was just released and brings back biometric unlock to 1Password for Safari:

You can now use Face ID and Touch ID to unlock 1Password in Safari after updating to iOS 16.1 or later. #17988

I recommend that you update using the App Store. You can find our guide on how to update here: How to keep 1Password up to date

You'll also need to update to iOS / iPadOS 16.1 or later: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (CA)

I'd like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding while the team worked to resolve this issue. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.