Reporting some issues

Kevin10
Kevin10
Community Member
edited October 2022 in Mac

Hey -

I'm not on the beta channel, but I recently switched to 1P8 and have noticed a few little issues. OK for me to report them here? Or is there a better way?

And is it alright if I just reply onto this thread with each issue I find, or would you prefer a separate thread for each issue?

1Password Version: 80904044
Extension Version: 2.3.8
OS Version: MacOS 10.15
Browser:_ Chrome

Comments

• Kevin10
    Kevin10
    Community Member

Example issue:
    I found that the backtick "Code" markdown format, documented here: https://support.1password.com/markdown/, does not appear to work correctly. The backticks are being processed...they don't show in the output....but the style of the text wrapped in backticks is rendered the same as the surrounding text.

• Hi there @Kevin10 – I've moved this thread to the Mac board since you're using the current version of 1Password for Mac.

We have heard reports of backticks not being handled correctly in 1Password 8, and our development team are already investigating it, so I've added a link to this thread to our internal discussion to let them know about your case. No word just now on when it'll be fixed, but you can keep an eye on the 1Password Releases blog to see what's new as 1Password updates. Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• Kevin10
    Kevin10
    Community Member

Hi, thanks Grey.

Here's another issue I've recently run into, more of a feature request than a bug. When opening an item in a new window from Quick Launch:

There is no action within that popout window to Edit the item. It would be very helpful to be able to Edit from here or have a button to "Open in 1Password", rather than having to go back to Quick Launch and lookup the item again.

• @Kevin10

We've had some customers ask for this, and I can see how it would be helpful, so I've added your vote to our internal tracker for that. I can't promise if or when it'll be added to 1Password, but the Product team do review those feature requests routinely.

You mentioned "a few little issues" in your original post – was there anything else you wanted to run by us? :)

ref: IDEA-I-610

• Kevin10
    Kevin10
    Community Member

Another issue I've had is intermittent freezing of the UI, especially with respect to the Quick Access. I've been unable to reproduce it consistently, so I didn't mention it yet because I was hoping to find a consistent reproduction. In at least one case it appeared to lockup the UI of the main 1Password window at the same time that the Quick Access was locked up. In another instance it appeared to lockup the UI of my web browser at the same time the Quick Access was locked up. I think these freezes have lasted from about 3 to 10 seconds.

• Kevin10
    Kevin10
    Community Member

Another issue I ran into was my first attempt at linking 1Password to a MacOS desktop app instead of the browser. The app I was testing is the Transmit FTP App by Panic software (https://panic.com/transmit/). At first, I was quite frustrated in all of my attempts at getting an item from my 1Password vault to autofill in Transmit. I ultimately found a trick to do it but it was almost by luck, and far from obvious. Here is how I figured it out, let me know if there is some more obvious way that I missed for linking an app to a 1Password item.

1) If I used Quick Access while having the Transmit App open, it would offer me only the credentials for logging into the Panic.com website:

2) I could search for the credential I wanted and copy the fields one-by-one, but that isn't the same as "auto-filling into your Mac apps" as advertised.

3) What I finally noticed after multiple dead ends was that the Panic.com item that was recommended by Quick Access had a "Autofill" command in the "More Actions" panel, which the item I was trying to Autofill did not. I noticed the keyboard shortcut for that Autofill command was "Shift-Return"

4) So going back to the item I wanted to autofill, I tried hitting "Shift-Return" even though the Autofill option was not displayed, and that worked! It displayed a new dialog where I could choose to "Fill & Update Login"

I still don't see the "Autofill" option under the More Actions panel for this item, but the default action for this item is now Autofill, and the item is presented automatically in Quick Access when the Transmit app has focus. It also put a magical "Linked Apps" section into the item in the 1Password app. This Linked Apps section cannot be added or edited, but can only be deleted.

• Kevin10
    Kevin10
    Community Member

The other thing with Autofilling apps that was not obvious right away is that changing the field label in 1Password might be required in order to get the field to autofill into the app. The default field label for an "API Credential" item in 1Password is "hostname", but in Transmit the corresponding field uses a label of "Address". I figured out that by renaming the "hostname" label to "Address" I could get it to autofill into Transmit, and by adding a new custom field labelled "Port" I could get that to autofill into Transmit as well.

Unfortunately, Transmit has a dropdown field for Protocol, instead of a text field. I couldn't figure out any way to get 1Password to populate that dropdown.

• Kevin10
    Kevin10
    Community Member

Here's something else that could be considered a feature request:
    I have my account setup with two-factor auth with a Security Key (yubikey). I noticed that the first time I logged into the 1P8 app, it prompted me to insert my security key (great!). However, I've noticed that since then, it doesn't appear to ever prompt me again. I suppose for many people this would be welcome, but I do see in the app Preferences under security, you can control how often your password is required if using Touch ID. I think it would also make sense to include a setting here for how often you want your two-factor auth to be re-verified. And/Or you could have a checkbox in the Touch ID section for "Prompt for two-factor auth at this time" alongside the Touch ID "Require password every [2 weeks]" setting.

If I could have things my way, personally I would choose to have 1Password prompt me for my security key the first time I log in every day, even if logging in by Touch ID. I'm probably not the common case here, and it may provide minimal real security benefit, but it would certainly feel like I'm improving the protection of my secrets if it worked in this way.

As a further improvement, it would be extra-great if it could be managed on a per-vault basis. If I have a "SysAdmin Vault", I'd like that vault to prompt me for my 2FA every time a credential is accessed.

• Kevin10
    Kevin10
    Community Member

I ran into difficulties getting 1Password to autofill into the Finder dialog that shows up when making an AFP connection to a server:

In the end, I guess it turned out to be user error and it could very well be due to quirks of MacOS and nothing controllable by 1Password, but what I found was that 1Password was trying to Autofill into a different "app" than the one I needed it to. For instance, the first time I tried it, I was given the dialog about "can't verify Finder should have access to your [...] item. Do you want to fill it anyway?"

But regardless of which choice I made, to "Fill Once" or "Fill & Update Login", the credential did not get filled in.

After messing around with it more, then I ended up getting it to say, "can't verify 1Password should have access to your [...] item...". That's when I realized something funny was happening. Apparently the AFP login dialog is actually associated with a process called "NetAuthAgent", and the NetAuthAgent process is only in focus for the first moment after that dialog opens. If you click any other windows, like Finder or 1Password, and then return focus to the login dialog, the NetAuthAgent process does not actually regain focus (Or 1Password cannot tell that it has regained focus....?), even though it visually appears to have gained focus. So the last app you clicked on before that is the one that 1Password tries to autofill....

So the trick is to use the 1Password Quick Access to lookup and Autofill the credential immediately after the dialog is presented, being sure not to click into any other windows beforehand.

• Kevin10
    Kevin10
    Community Member

Another issue I've run into is "focus stealing" when filling out forms within the Chrome web browser. If I have the main 1Password window open, even if it is on a 2nd monitor screen behind several other windows, when trying to fill in a form full of profile information (name, address, birthday), as I tab from field to field, the main 1Password window jumps to the front focus and my tabs start tabbing through 1Password window fields and buttons instead of the form I was filling out.

Right-clicking on a form field in Chrome and selecting 1Password->Hide on this Page helps, but doesn't fully solve the focus stealing. If I for instance pause my form filling activity and switch over to another Chrome Browser window, the 1Password window will jump back to the top when that other window gets focus. And then when first coming back to the window with the form in it, even though 1Password has been told to hide on that page, the 1Password window will jump back in focus again.

A workaround to the problem is to either minimize or "close" the main 1Password window. OK to leave 1Password running in the background, but the window must be closed.

This discussion has been closed.