How can I keep the main 1Password always open? It closes when I use the (Firefox) browser plugin

rsteinberger
rsteinberger
Community Member

How can I keep the 1Password main window running all the time (even when it's locked)? It seems to close right after I use the 1Password Firefox browser extension. This is relatively new (and annoying) behavior - using the browser extension did not use to force close the main 1P window.

1Password Version: 8.9.4
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: macOS 13
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Hello @rsteinberger! 👋

Can you tell me how you're using 1Password in Firefox when the main 1Password window closes? Are you filling a password onto a website? Or just opening the pop-up window in the browser? And by "main 1P window" do you mean the pop-up window in the browser or the main 1Password 8 app itself?

Can you also tell me if the following is enabled:

1. Open and unlock 1Password 8.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click Preferences.
    4. Make sure that "Keep 1Password in the menu bar" is checked.

I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

-Dave

• rsteinberger
    rsteinberger
    Community Member

I click the 1P extension in Firefox and that results in the 1P Mac App opening. [Yes, Keep 1P in the menubar is selected]. So I enter the unlock 1P Password. Then I have to go back to the browser so that the 1P extension - now unlocked - will let me click on the Autofill for the web page. This is not how the process used to work: Formerly I could just click on the 1P extension in Firefox and it would ask for my unlock Password (if necessary), then I could select Autofill for the web page. The Mac 1P app was not involved.

Does that clarify what's been going on for me? I want the former simplicity of the 1P Firefox extension.

• rsteinberger
    rsteinberger
    Community Member

Note that in the Iridium browser (a Chrome derivative), the 1P extension works as it used to. It's only in Firefox that it's "messed up".

• rsteinberger
    rsteinberger
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

1P Extension in Safari works as expected. It's only in Firefox that its behavior is suboptimal

• rsteinberger
    rsteinberger
    Community Member

With FF update and 1P extension update, the annoying behavior I had noticed seems remedied.

• @rsteinberger

I'm sorry for the delay in responding but I'm happy to hear that the latest updates resolved the issue. Let me know if there's anything else that we can help with. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.