Can I have 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 installed on the same Mac with both syncing to stay current?

smartishhome
smartishhome
Community Member

As described in more detail below (including the rationale), I ultimately have two questions at this time:

1. As a gating question can I have both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 running on the same machine simultaneously?

2. If they can both be running at the same time, will both the 7 app and the 8 app remain in sync? Or would one of the editions sync (presumably 8) while the other (presumably 7) is fixed at a certain point in time and will not sync further?

I am extremely hesitant to jump to 1Password 8. I would like to try 1Password 8 out though. So I will have to maintain 1Password 7 to use as I grow more familiar with 8. I think I would need both the existing 7 app for Mac and the 8 app I can download to remain synced with all other instances of 1Password. If both aren't 'live' then I'm adding a complication if I have one password in 1Password 8 but I find out on the fly that 1Password 7 offers a much tighter integration with this hypothetical service/app/site so much so that I would like the password created in 8 to sync with the 1Password 7 on my Mac. I'm sure there are other scenarios where this might be a concern but I figure I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Thanks for making it this far. I appreciate any information one might have. I am also open to the fact that I am viewing this issue as more complicated that it will actually be. So helping adjust my perspective should it need such adjustment would be extremely helpful, too!
Thanks!!!

Currently running
1Password 7
Version 7.9.6 (70906003)
1Password Store

on macOS Monterey (12.6)
[This Mac will upgrade to Ventura soon so in case that is at all relevant I throw it out there]

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac Monterey upgrading to Ventura
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can I have 1password7 and 1password installed on the same Mac?

Comments

• Hello @smartishhome! 👋

Although you can theoretically run 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 at the same time I don't recommend it since it can cause issues with things like filling in the browser. You can always update to 1Password 8, give it a try, and then go back to 1Password 7 in the future if you wish. Updating to 1Password 8 is not a one-way door.

If you do decide to run both at the same time then each will maintain its own offline cache and connection to 1Password.com which means that you'll see the same items (and changes made to those items) in both apps.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.