cvs.com no Password AutoFill (with version 7.9.9)

Options
Tonetony
Tonetony
Community Member

Seems they overhauled the web site literally overnight, with some significant user interface changes on the home page.

On iPhone and iPad, Safari, the "Settings > Passwords > AutoFill Passwords" suggestion from 1Password (what do you call that? the iOS AutoFill version?) no longer appears at the top of the Keyboard when tapping in the email (user name) field. Nor does the password key icon. Instead, I just see "Hide My Email".

The 1Password Safari extension does work if I tap in the field. But I usually leave the extension off and prefer to use AutoFill.

1Password for Mac (7.9.6) still works fine at cvs.com, even though their changed web site is also in place for desktop browser.

1Password Version: 7.9.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 15.7
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Tonetony! 👋

I can reproduce the same issue here on my end as well. It looks like Password AutoFill isn't seeing the "Email address" field as a username field and so isn't offering a login suggestion from 1Password. I can see how the current behaviour is not ideal for the particular website you are having trouble with. AutoFill is specifically handled by iOS so we are unable to control which fields get identified and filled on a website since 1Password only provides the data for the experience.

That being said, we do directly control the filling for 1Password for Safari and can update the filling "brain" to compensate for changes like this. I recommend using 1Password for Safari moving forward or, if that's not possible, then I'd suggest reporting the issue to CVS so that they can investigate why the field isn't being identified as a username field by iOS Password AutoFill.

I hope that helps. 🙂

-Dave

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

OK, thanks. I usually avoid Safari extension because it seems to appear when it's not wanted or relevant, and blocks what I'm looking at or doing. And I need AutoFill enabled anyway to handle App logins, so it's redundant. (On Mac, I have the Safari extension enabled but constrained - it will only open if I click the icon in the field.)

I'll give CVS tech support a call. Hopefully their 1st line support will be able to log the problem for their engineers to look at someday.

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2022
    Options

@tonytony

Thank you for understanding and for reaching out to CVS.

I appreciate the feedback regarding 1Password for Safari. We do have an internal work item open to improve the inline filling menu on iOS and I'll add your comments there. Out of curiosity, can you provide an example of where 1Password for Safari blocked what you were looking at? I'd love to pass along a specific website so that the team can see if we can improve things in those situations. If you're unable to provide an example then that's okay too. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#9970

• Tonetony
    Tonetony
    Community Member
    Options

I'll keep an eye open and will reply here when I encounter one. It may be hard to come up with one because I usually leave the extension off on the phone and constrain it's behavior on the Mac.

• @Tonetony

Thank you, we'll keep an eye out if you do reply here in the future. 🙂

-Dave

• joshmurphy
    joshmurphy
    Community Member
    Options

I’m not the original poster, but I can share an example of the safari extension getting in the way. Unfortunately it’s on a website where you need to be logged in. It happens in a menu where you are creating logins for new users. You want to be able to type in a new username, definitely not auto fill an existing one, and the extension covers the text field. I attached a screenshot showing the issue. Unfortunately like I said, it’s behind a paywall basically, so I can’t share the website

• @joshmurphy

I'm sorry for the delay in responding. I can file an issue with our developers to see if there's anything that they can do to improve the situation here even if the website is behind a paywall. Do you see a similar issue when using 1Password in the browser on a Mac or Windows PC? Or does the inline filling menu get in the way only when accessing the mobile version of the website using Safari on your iPhone?

Are you also able to share the exact URL of the webpage in question?

Dave

• joshmurphy
    joshmurphy
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

@Dave_1P

Here’s a link to the exact page where I have the problem
    https://www.alarm.com/web/Profile/AddLogin.aspx

There’s been some other quirks with the site, so it’s probably poor code on their end and not an issue with 1Password. However, it still causes me to turn off the extension.

I’ll update you when I get a chance to check on the desktop (MacOS), as well as send over some source code for the site, if that would help

• @joshmurphy

Thank you for the additional details. I've filed an internal issue with our developers so that they can look into this and see if we can improve the situation in the future. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#18421

This discussion has been closed.