Sketchy update process to 1password 8

Options
winterludes
winterludes
Community Member
edited October 2022 in Mac

I just updated to 1password 8, and 2 icons for 1password appeared at the top of the menu in Safari instead of the old one being replaced by the new one. I had to quit the old one for it to disappear. Also, when I look at the 1password app in finder, it shows that it has not been changed in a month yet I JUST updated the app.

Given the sensitive information being kept in the app I want to know that it has actually updated and the app is actually stored on my computer. I can currently access 1password 8 via the new icon in the Safari menu, but this is the sketchiest update process I can remember for any app, and this app needs to be fail safe and secure and working right. I already lost all my secure notes in the app "Standard Notes" I don't want that to happen again here.

1Password Version: newest
Extension Version: newest
OS Version: 12.1
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• winterludes
    winterludes
    Community Member
    Options

• winterludes
    winterludes
    Community Member
    Options

You can see that the 1Password app says it has not been updated since Sep 1 even though I upgraded the app yesterday night, on Oct 29

• Hello @winterludes! 👋

For apps installed outside of the App Store, I believe that the Date Modified field in the Applications folder does not refer to when the app was last updated by a user but refers to when the developer themselves (1Password in this case) last modified that version of the app. I see the same "Sep 1, 2022" date on my Mac for 1Password 8.9.4.

This works the same in other Mac apps. For example, I just downloaded the latest update for Alfred 4 but I see that the Date Modified value is "Jul 15, 2022" because that's likely when Alfred's developers last modified this version of the app.

You can also check to see that you're running the latest version of 1Password 8 by following these steps:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on 1Password next to the  in the menu bar.
    3. Click on About 1Password.

I hope that this helps. 🙂

-Dave

• winterludes
    winterludes
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave, it says "1Password for Mac 8.9.4:. So I guess it is the latest version. what about both icons existing in the Safari menu at the same time and having to quit 1Password 7 manually even after I upgraded to 1Password 8?

• mhosborn
    mhosborn
    Community Member
    Options

I'm following this thread, as I want to make sure I upgrade from V7 to V8 properly.

• @winterludes

The 1Password 8 installer should have quit 1Password 7 and then placed it into a ZIP folder inside of the Applications folder on your Mac. It sounds like something might have gone wrong with that process which resulted in you temporarily seeing two different 1Password icons in Safari (one from 1Password 7's built-in extension, and the other from 1Password for Safari). It sounds like everything is working now but let me know if you're still seeing any issues.

@mhosborn

You can find our 1Password 8 upgrade guide here: Upgrade to 1Password 8 for Mac

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.