1Password 8 design feedback

Brighter454
Brighter454
Community Member
edited November 2022 in iOS

Preface: long, long time user/customer, going back about 10 years. Love the software or I would not be writing this. So, with that intro…

Needs improvement: Please, please, please restore the prominence of Search!!!

I have over 2,000 entires in 1Password (a metric hidden/obscured in 1Password 8) and what was previously a 1-click/tap step is now two, all the while motor-memory causes a “where is search?” moment of further delay. I don’t use 1Password to slow down what I need to do, but that is the unfortunate result of the movement of Search to the left pane — if it is even visible which it’s not if the left pane is minimized! Yes, I know that Cmd-F will bring up search, but that is still an extra step compared to 1Password 7 and prior.

I don’t begrudge the software team wanting to make the software pretty, but functionality — like cash — is king and the new design has this one huge flaw that undermines other productivity improvements like one-tap/click copy.

On a related note, please consider that Family subscriptions will have elderly members for whom these visual changes are a show-stopper. One member of our family group is approaching 90 years old and will continue to use 1Password 7 because the visual changes create too much confusion and confusion means lots more time for yours truly to tutor them and less reliance by the elderly family member on 1Password, and so forth.

Again, I wouldn’t be writing this if I didn’t love the software more than your competitors.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi there @Brighter454

Thanks for your feedback about 1Password 8. I noticed you said:

the movement of Search to the left pane — if it is even visible which it’s not if the left pane is minimized! Yes, I know that Cmd-F will bring up search, but that is still an extra step compared to 1Password 7 and prior.

It sounds like you might be using 1Password on a Mac. If so, the Search box will always be visible at the top of the window, even with the sidebar hidden, like this:

If you're using an iPad, the sidebar will collapse only in portrait mode and can be shown again by tapping the image "show/hide sidebar" button in the top-left corner, or by rotating the iPad to landscape as you might use it when docked with a keyboard.

You also mentioned:

I have over 2,000 entires in 1Password (a metric hidden/obscured in 1Password 8)

Clicking or tapping the Sort Options button in any list will show you how many items there are, like this:

Give those a try and let me know how you get on. Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• Brighter454
    Brighter454
    Community Member

Thanks! I appreciate the helpful tips, especially the intent.

When I posted the feedback, I composed it on an iPad Pro using a Magic Keyboard, based on the interface on the iPad and iPhone.

To clarify: the feedback is about the iPadOS and iOS user interface -- sorry that was unclear.

In an effort to be more clear:

• in 1Password 7 on iPhone, Search was at the top of every section except Settings; put another way Search was visible in 75% of the UI, a much higher % of the portion of the interface used day-to-day since Settings is used infrequently
    • in 1Password 8 on iPhone, Search is only available as 1 of 4 dedicated icons at the bottom of the display; put another way, in comparison to 1Password 7 Search is available in 25% of the UI and has been clearly deprecated as an available functionality

It is about this obvious (75% to 25% using one measure) deprecation of Search that I am providing feedback. In my opinion, it is a design error -- especially on iPhone. At least on iPad with a keyboard, Cmd-F is a method for restoring access to Search. On iPhone, the diversion to a dedicated icon is an obstruction and an extra tap in accomplishing the end-user goal. In my opinion, effective user-centered design does not erect obstacles and force end-users to accomplish their tasks more slowly; instead, best practice in user-centered design is to removes end-user obstacles and enable faster task completion.

My request: restore the access to Search the way it existed in 1Password 7 by enabling Search at the top of Home and Items..

This discussion has been closed.