how can i delete duplikates in 1password8 ?

Prowler
Prowler
Community Member

i have many duplicates but there is no :under the Help menu> Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items.

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.0 (22A380)
Browser:_ chrome
Referrer: forum-search:duplikate in 1 password8 löschen

Comments

• Hi there @Prowler

The "Clean Up Duplicate Items" menu option you mentioned was part of 1Password 7 for Mac. If you'd like to use it, here's what to do:

Quit 1Password 8 completely:
    1. Quit 1Password 8. If it's still in the menu bar, right-click it and click Quit.

Temporarily reinstall 1Password 7:
    2. Download and install 1Password 7: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/download/OPM7
    ☞ This step will remove 1Password 8 from your Mac (but not its data).
    3. Open and unlock 1Password 7.
    4. In the menu bar, click the Vault menu > Switch to Vault > Personal. (Note: If you're using a 1Password Families or Business account, this will be called "Private".)
    5. Click the Help menu > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items.
    6. In a web browser, sign into https://start.1password.com/signin/ and check that no duplicates are left after that step. (If there are duplicates that are similar but not identical, the tool won't clean them up, so those will need to be Archived or Deleted manually.)
    7. Open 1Password 7 again. If you see a vault named "Primary" in the sidebar, right-click it and click Delete Vault...

Remove 1Password 7:
    8. Click the 1Password 7 menu > Quit 1Password Completely.
    9. Open Finder. In the menu bar, click the Go menu > Applications. Drag "1Password 7" to the Trash.

Reinstall 1Password 8:
    10. Download and install 1Password 8 again: https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1Password.zip

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

Your suggestion is, as I'm sure you agree, @GreyM1P, an embarrassingly awkward workaround! There's no way I'm going to get my Mac-using clients to go through that process. And your arcane suggestion highlights a systemic problem in your organization:

**Why on EARTH do you REPEATEDLY remove features from your product? ** Over years, we users will form our habits such that we depend on them. When you strip away a feature (such as reordering websites in a login item) we can be SCREWED.

Similarly, you make fundamental changes to product behavior that force us to unlearn our by-now-instinctive habits. The obnoxiously-innovative behavior of ENTER (vs. CTRL-ENTER) in a search is a pointless and vexing change that violates UI norms and UX courtesy.

If you want to deploy such a change, you could have EASILY given us an option to swap those behaviors.

Disclaimer: My frustrations with website-reordering and search behavior are specific to the Windows app. Perhaps the MacOS is innocent of those perversions? I can't tell from here.

• @Netpog

Thank you for the feedback and I'm sorry for the frustration. We have an entire collection of improvements coming to the 1Password app in the next few updates that include field reordering for both the desktop and mobile apps: Building a Better, More Useful 1Password

1Password 8 is a complete rewrite of 1Password and it gave our developers the opportunity to simplify 1Password and make it easier to use. As time goes on, we're taking in feedback from folks such as yourself to make 1Password 8 even better in the future. 🙂

-Dave

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

Thanks, @Dave_1P, for that reassurance. I was a software development CEO, back in the day, so I certainly appreciate the importance of paying off technical debt before it compounds and becomes something horrible (something like, y'know, healthcare or finance software).

And I hear you: in this case you were forced to ship the rewrite without a full feature set. Glad to know that things will continue to return to the product.

One feature that I'm being asked about: Will Mac users get the ability to tag multiple items? A client is a new LastPass user, and they are ORGANIZED by nature, so individually tagging HUNDREDS of items is quite tedious!

That said, please do be sensitive to making fundamental UI changes that will be most painful to your longest-term users. For example, the change to the search behavior, which wasn't extra work for you, but it sure is an annoyance for many of us! (Okay, it's extra work if you do it right: if you add a Setting to allow us to suppress this badness.)

• @Netpog

Will Mac users get the ability to tag multiple items?

You already can. You can drag multiple items on to a tag in the sidebar to apply it to all of those items. To do this, you'll need to turn on tags in the sidebar (Settings > General > Always Show in Sidebar: ✔︎ Tags) and you'll need to create the tag by applying it to one item first, so that it appears in the sidebar.

Have that user give that a try and let us know how it goes. We'll be here if you need anything.

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

WHAT! REALLY? Now I MUST apologize for all my complaining about -- and retract my advocacy for -- this actually-present feature.

(Am I correct that the context menu doesn't support multi-tagging, or for that matter tagging at all, on Mac as well as on Windows? And that you can't easily remove tags from multiple items?)

Thanks, @GreyM1P ! I told her to try drag/drop, but I didn't tell her to "always show" tags in sidebar!

Come to think: May I suggest that this setting has the wrong default?

Because users like her, who want to use tags but are using 1P8 (and thus have fewer context-menu features) won't find this obvious.

• Hi @Netpog,

Sounds like there's some overlap here with what we discussed in another thread, but I'll add this conversations to that same piece of internal feedback regarding tags showing by default.

Thanks again for your input and let us know if you have any questions. 😊

ref: PB-30825031

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

Thanks, @andrew.l_1P. In case it might inform those conversations, I'll tell you what happened next:
    When I told her now to change the setting, she more-or-less refused. It was too much for her, atop having recently switched from LastPass. (A switch for which she's grateful, mind.) Now, this is an educated and intelligent person! But one who "hates computers". There are many of those, and they often resist going into the Settings or Preferences.

By contrast, nerds like me love to explore all the menus. But that's not normal.

• Appreciate the update, @Netpog, I also enjoy menu spelunking! Hopefully they'll come around in the future but in the meantime I'll add this context to the request we filed earlier. Thanks for sharing the update!

This discussion has been closed.