Feature Request: passkeys public-key backup (roll your own)

Options
suffice
suffice
Community Member

For instance, in addition to Apple's iCloudKey storage solution. The ability to store your public-keys in 1Password Secure Notes would be fantastic (IMO, a critical necessity). From there, print as additional paper backup. I would also like to note that my existing Secure Notes are just as essential as my existing Login items. 1Password will always be essential for me.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited November 2022
    Options

What's the value of storing public keys?

I'd rather have "native" 1Password support (new category) for storing Passkeys (private keys themselves, instead of storing them in iCloud Keychain).

As far as I know 1Password has already been working on this and the acquisition of Passage is promising:

https://blog.1password.com/1password-acquires-passage/

• suffice
    suffice
    Community Member
    Options

macOS enables to backup your local Keychain (which includes your iCloud Keychain), but I am Mobile only.

• suffice
    suffice
    Community Member
    Options

@XIII Thanks. I read the Passage blog earlier ... I did not understand that totally.

• Hi both.

We're yet to see exactly how 1Password will be able to interact with passkeys on mobile devices. Right now, the bulk of the information coming from the major platform vendors is about how their own first-party integrations will work, and less about how third-parties like 1Password can integrate with it.

As @XIII said above, we've acquired Passage who have done some excellent work in the passwordless field, and we're really glad to have them on board as we push ahead with passkeys.

In terms of backing up passkeys, the same rationale as our current backup strategy applies – 1Password uses multiple redundant storage locations, in multiple geographic locations, to make sure that your 1Password data is kept intact. It would take the permanent, unrecoverable destruction of all of those storage locations to lose data at our end. However, even then, your devices would still have a local copy of your data, just like they do now if you use 1Password offline. Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• suffice
    suffice
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P, in 1st paragraph you (understandably) stated it’s too early to know implications for mobile. But last paragraph, you specify that our passkeys will indeed reside on our local devices. Are you now speaking only of desktop? Otherwise, I think I am missing something.

• @suffice

All your devices, both desktop and mobile, will have a local copy of your 1Password items, including your passkeys when they come. If you've ever used 1Password on your device when there's been no connection to the internet, you'll have seen what this is like in action. Although passkeys are a game-changer in how users will sign up for (and sign in to) websites, they're no more complex to store than what you have in 1Password right now.

• suffice
    suffice
    Community Member
    Options

@GreyM1P Thank you. I was confusing private and public keys (duh on my part).

• @suffice

I'm happy that Grey was able to answer your questions. 😊

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.