Fastmail integration - updating existing logins

Options
more_cowbell
more_cowbell
Community Member

Wasn’t sure which forum to create this. I have a thread on the Lounge but getting not response. I use IPad for a lot of my personal stuff so I guess this is as good as anywhere.

Finally got around to testing out integration with Fastmail, but have some questions. Functionally only seems geared towards creating new accounts.

When I change the email for an existing logging to masked email using the safari extension it creates a email entry in 1Password resulting in an old email in the login field and the new masked email in an email field.

-Do email and login fields both feed to login form? -Should I be deleting one of them?
-What is the smoothest way to transition existing logins to masked emails?

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

Bump…

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Is this the wrong place to ask this?

• Hello @more_cowbell! 👋

I'm sorry for the delay in responding. If the username/login field is empty then 1Password in the browser will fill the email field, if you remove the old email from the username/login field then does your new masked email address get filled into the websites in question?

-Dave

ref: IDEA-I-545

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

I tested and it does get filled in.

So does migrating current logins to masked email really require manual clean up to do so?

• @more_cowbell

At the moment, manually removing the username field value is the best option here. We do have an internal work item open to investigate improving the situation when it comes to updating existing Login Items and I've added your comments there so that the team is aware that this is something that you'd like to see improved in the future.

Thank you for reporting the issue.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#10365

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P I see from searching this forum it’s an open work item basically since 1Password launched it so I think it’s safe to say it’s not at all important to 1Password. Kind of a half effort implementation IMO.

• @more_cowbell

Thank you again for the feedback. While I'm not able to provide any sort of forecast as to when we'll be able to resolve this issue, I can tell you that we're aware that it's something in need of improving. I'm sorry for the inconvenience that the issue is causing.

-Dave

• more_cowbell
    more_cowbell
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P not too many month ago I would have highly suggested 1Password to everyone I know. Now I’m barely wanting to use it myself. How quickly a company can trash a good product.

• @more_cowbell

I understand the frustration, I'm a Fastmail user myself and personally hope to see improvements in the workflow here in the future as well. I'm sorry that we've lost your confidence, we're working hard to fix issues that users like you are reporting so that we can make 1Password even better and I hope that we win you back over in the future. 🙂

When the issue is resolved you'll see it listed in our release notes: 1Password Releases

-Dave

• dwestenk
    dwestenk
    Community Member
    Options

@more_cowbell Perhaps since you are "a Fastmail user myself," you could share your method of updating existing email accounts?

This discussion has been closed.