Feature Request: General / Linked / Shared Sections

Yogie
Yogie
Community Member
edited November 2022 in Lounge

Hello,

sometimes I do have a lot of entries, that share basic information. For example I have stored e-mail account informations for a lot of accounts, some of them have server settings in common, like mail-in, mail-out server names, port settings and other details. When these do change, I have to update a lot of items in my 1Password.
I would love to see an easy way to update these.
One solution could be a special kind of (general) section, that can be shared with multiple entries or linked to those. Means I only need to update the information once in that shared/linked section and all entries that are linked will show the updates information right away.
Onother option would be to be able to copy & paste across entries in the vault for single entries but also for one or multiple sections.
Talking about sections and entries in sections, it would be great to be able to drag and drop entries within a sections to sort, drag them to other sections and finally to be able to drag and drop sections to sort entire sections. I'm fine with the top section to stay there and not being able to move this around.

I hope you will pick up my ideas and consider them...

Many thanks
Cheers
Yogie

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: 2.4.1
OS Version: macOS 12.6
Browser:_ Chrome (latest version)

Comments

• Yogie
    Yogie
    Community Member

No interest by anybody? No reply from AgileBits?

• @Yogie

Sorry, it appears that we missed your message. Whoopsie. It sounds as if you'd want to create the individual items (login?) and then link to an email item as a related item. You could link to this shared email config from each of the needed logins.

Something like this maybe?

• I would say drag and drop sounds interesting for sure. If you are talking about section within a specific item, then reordering is being worked on. ;) I believe it's in the current nightly.

• Yogie
    Yogie
    Community Member

• Yogie
    Yogie
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

As you can see I have a long list of E-Mail entries (and the list is longer) and all do have the same information stored at the red rectangle. I was too lazy to copy & paste and edit each entry and add more of the shared information so this entry shown has just two (to be shared) strings. Other entries (not just e-mail ones) do have even more identical stuff to be shared. Now when anything changes in the "shared" info I need to update a lot of entries. Any other way than linking, to share the same content would be nice, so changes need to be done just one time. Or does linking offer a way to link to another entry in 1Password? Just now I only use it for attaching PDF documents or .eml files. The downside to store such things in a PDF file is, it takes to long to see and get the info and no copy & paste of information is available. So being able for example to create a section (a group of information in an entry) that can be shared with other entries and will be accessible/visible immediately just as a regular field within an item would be cool.

• Yogie
    Yogie
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

When creating bulk entries, I duplicate the entry, but this only solves to have less to type when I create a new set of entries. The issue still exists when I have to change multiple entries (due to changes in shared information means data that all of the entries have in common). There is not even a search and replace for existing entries to bulk update or?
    In addition copy & paste of more than one item (a group of items in one entry) to another entry in 1Password would also help to speed up the update process.

• @Yogie

I'll concede that you had more than I was anticipating.

Or does linking offer a way to link to another entry in 1Password?

Yes, it does.

My items in my test vault.

Linking a login to my email config.

• Yogie
    Yogie
    Community Member

@ag_tommy

I just realized that there are two options to enhance the entries, one is just saying add new field but then just below is an option to add more which contains next to attach file - link to a related item which I can use. I saw that also earlier on your screen shots, but did not find that immediately with my German localization and the way I was looking at my entries, I'm sorry. But now as I found it I will check the feature out and see how it works.

Many thanks!

• Yogie
    Yogie
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

That's really cool - I wish I would have known that sooner! Because that is exactly what I was looking for.

However, one thing I would love to see - which in my eyes would enhance this process and makes navigation easier.
    When I link to a related item the related item should automatically backlink to the related item. This would make navigation easier, I know there is a navigate back button too. But depending from where you start it makes things easier. For now of course I can create those backlinks manually.

• Yogie
    Yogie
    Community Member

Maybe at the last dialog (screen shot) you posted where it says "Choose an item" it would be nice to have a check box to choose like: "set back-link at item" which then would make it optional.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member

Backlinks are actually missing, would be nice if one was able to directly create a 2-way link.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2023

Good spot there @Tertius3 and thanks for thinking of that. It slipped my mind. I'll pass along the request proactively in case you might need it @Yogie 🙂

ref: 30566839

This discussion has been closed.