List of Special Characters supported by 1password (OS Independent)?

h2odev
h2odev
Community Member

Do you know the list of Special Characters supported by 1password and the min and max number of those characters used in a password?

• Note: This question is not OS specific!

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi there @h2odev

The short answer is: it depends.

If you mean, "What special characters can I use in passwords that I store in 1Password?", then the answer is "Any you like!" – it's just text, so there are no limitations on it.

In terms of "What special characters can I use in my 1Password account password?", then the following characters are the only ones we recommend using:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
    !"#$%&'()*+,-./\:;?@[]^_`{|}~
    space

I hope that answers your question, but I'm here if you need any more help. :)

— Grey

• h2odev
    h2odev
    Community Member

So only a few Unicode characters are supported

• h2odev
    h2odev
    Community Member

Is your password generator tool only able to generate only these characters?

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
    !"#$%&'()*+,-./:;?@[]^_`{|}~
    space

• @h2odev

Yes. We stick to ASCII wherever possible, for maximum compatibility. Other characters may be rendered differently on different (especially older) operating systems, particularly since Unicode gets bigger from time to time and not every operating system gets that update.

• h2odev
    h2odev
    Community Member

Thank you @GreyM1P !

• @h2odev – You're welcome! Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help, at any time. :)

This discussion has been closed.