Easier way to onboard new device

It would be great if there were an easier way to onboard a new device than having to enter the impossible to memorize secret key. Other apps (e.g., Discord) allows you to scan a QR code using the mobile app for very swiftly activating a new device - this would be a very handy addition to 1Password as well.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @ToffenDask, thanks for your feedback.

1Password 8 apps offer a few different options for the initial sign in, including scanning the Setup Code and signing in with a copy of your Emergency Kit. Both of those options will fill out your account details so you can just enter your account password to sign in. If you've noticed any issues with this, let us know and we would be happy to help!

• ToffenDask
    ToffenDask
    Community Member

Hi @ag_timothy,

For the browser extension (which I use almost exclusively) this does not appear to be an option. For the app - a computer does not always have a web camera to be able to scan the code (or the webcam is of such low quality that getting the code scanned is often more of a hassle than to type in the recovery key.)

Discord does this rather elegantly - it shows a QR code on the computer screen, which is then scanned by the Discord mobile app.

• Thanks for following up @ToffenDask.

You're correct. The additional sign in options are available through the 1Password apps not 1Password in the browser. In addition to a QR scanning option you can alternatively import your Emergency Kit which will enter all your sign in information other than your password. For this option, a copy of your Emergency Kit would need to be available on the desktop when you're getting setup.

When I've set up a new PC I used the Emergency Kit import option with the 1Password desktop app. After that, I made sure the desktop app was connected to 1Password in the browser so I didn't have to add my accounts twice.

That being said, I can certainly understand your point here and would agree that exploring other methods to add accounts is definitely worthwhile. While I can't make any promises about the development of 1Password, I've gone ahead and shared your comments with the team for their consideration.

Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.