System authentication questions

spacehog
spacehog
Community Member

Hi,
I have setup system authentication to unlock 1Password when I log in to Arch Linux.

If I lock my system and unlock it, when I open 1Password, it asks my Linux account password. But shouldn't 1Password be automatically unlocked when I log in after a lock (Ctrl + Alt + L)? Or is it normal I get asked to enter my Linux account password again?

Another thing, I don't have a /etc/pam.conf file. But it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Thanks for your help!

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: 2.3.8
OS Version: Arch Linux
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• Hey @spacehog

1Password can be unlocked using your system password, by turning on system authentication, which you've done. However, it won't lock and unlock at the same time as your Linux user account – it just uses the same method.

It's the same as something like Windows Hello, or Touch ID on a Mac. You might use those methods to unlock your computer's user account, but you then need to use it again to unlock 1Password.

Hope that clears it up. Let me know if you have any questions or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• spacehog
    spacehog
    Community Member

Thanks for the clarification!

• Hey @spacehog, on behalf of my colleague Grey, you're most welcome!

Let us know if you have any further questions 😄

Ali

• spacehog
    spacehog
    Community Member

Hi @Ali
    I'm good, no more question.

• Thanks for the reply @spacehog! We'll be here to help if you ever do have any questions.

Ali

This discussion has been closed.