External Hard Drives - Is there a better way?

Options
thought_police
thought_police
Community Member

Hi

I have a number of encrypted external hard drives because amongst other things I am a video editor and video production involves massive files.

Anyway the passwords for these hard drives are not memorable and are kept in two places, the Apple Keychain and 1Password.

Having them in two places is not very bright but I can't see any other way. For the drives to mount I need the Keychain to open them automatically. On the other hand I don't trust the Keychain to store them. There isn't any inherent problem with the Keychain, the problem is with me, I like to go into the Keychain and "spring clean" but the risk in that is accidentally deleting the passwords. The Keychain is not a very appealing GUI and I find it easy to just delete the wrong thing in there, so I prefer to keep them in 1Password.

So, I am wondering if there is another way for this?

Thank you!

1Password Version: 8.9.10
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.0.1
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@thought_police

There's nothing wrong with having the passwords in 1Password and Keychain, so long as you maintain the disciple that 1Password's data is authoritative and Keychain's data is simply for your convenience.

I have to work this way for managing my father-in-law's password data. 1Password is our main source, and I populate iCloud Keychain passwords (via a VM) to update them, as a convenience for him to use his various Apple devices.

Also, I place certain disk encryption passwords in Keychain for macOS (e.g. for Time Machine backups).

Strict discipline about how you manage the passwords will allow your spring cleaning. Always create / update passwords in 1Password, Copy / Paste them into other dialogs that store in Keychain when necessary.

• thought_police
    thought_police
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @MrC for your response.

You have confirmed at least that I am doing the right thing at present. I totally agree that always viewing 1Password as the authoritative data is the crucial to making sure I don't mess up.

This discussion has been closed.