Moving to a new shared vault lost all my attachments

Options
kiylea2
kiylea2
Community Member

I moved all items out of my private vault to a shared one (because I could not share my private vault with my husband, even on the family plan, correct?). When I did that, it broke all the links to my attachments. The items now shows 'missing item'. Is there a way to restore this without having to reattach everything? I have seen some old posts that says this migration issue would be solved at some point?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Moving to a new shared vault lost all my attachments

Comments

• Hi @kiylea2, šŸ‘‹šŸ»

You're spot on that it isn't possible to share your Private vault so you're taking the right approach using a shared vault!

Unfortunately at this time it isn't possible to maintain links between items when moving them from one vault to another, so the only way to recreate them the same way you had them would be to move the attachment as well and manually create a new link. I apologize for any inconvenience this causes.

Since moving items is essentially a copy + delete operation, you can find the "original" versions of these items in the "Recently Deleted" section at the bottom of the left side menu:

We do have an open feature request for the app to suggest linked items be moved together and maintain those connections so I'll add your voice to that.

In case it helps in the future, you can also explore adding attachments directly to an item:

The drawback here being that you won't be able to link multiple items to this attachment, but when it exists as part of the item, it will be moved along with it. I recognize this isn't the perfect alternative and will be adding some additional notes to the topic internally so we can explore further.

Let me know if you have any questions. šŸ™‚

ref: IDEA-I-1253

• kiylea2
    kiylea2
    Community Member
    Options

thank you for your reply. I found that the files were still in a folder called documents, so I will start reattaching. It would be a good feature in the future - in the meantime, perhaps a warning message can be displayed so it isn't a surprise when moving items between vaults.

• Hi @kiylea2,

Glad to hear all your data is safe, hoping the process of recreating those links won't take too long. šŸ¤žšŸ»

I think a warning message is a great idea! I also found an open feature request to allow items to link across vaults, which I suspect would've been helpful here. I'll add your voice to both.

Thanks for sharing your use case, it really helps add context to these feature requests. You know where to find us if you have any questions in the future. šŸ˜Š

ref: IDEA-I-524
    ref: IDEA-I-1977

This discussion has been closed.