Two factor authentication in gmail

robertom
robertom
Community Member
edited November 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I can't find how to generate QR code for 2FA in Gmail. What I'm missing?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @robertom, the QR code should be provided by Gmail. You can then scan the code to get it added to your login item for Gmail in 1Password. Are you unable to find the QR code from the Gmail side of things? Or are you unable to use the QR code to get 2fa added to your login item in 1Password?

• robertom
    robertom
    Community Member

I’m unable find the QR code in Google.

• BrendanR1P
    edited November 2022

Hi @robertom

From testing this on my own device I was able to enable 2FA in my Google/Gmail account by following the steps below:

1. Open the Google account sign-in page.
    2. In the navigation panel, select Security.
    3. Under “Signing in to Google,” select 2-Step Verification and then Get started.

A QR Code was then displayed with a Can't Scan QR Code option below the QR Code. Clicking this option provided a token code as an alternative to the QR Code.

I then opened a test login item I had created in 1Password, then added a one-time password field to the item, then scanned the QR Code (I also copied and pasted the token code into this field and this option also worked successfully). Once the QR Code was scanned and the item was saved in 1Password, the 6 digit one-time password is generated successfully every 30 seconds.

Entering the generated code into the relevant one time password field on the Google 2FA setup screen allowed me to complete the setup.

I hope this helps

-- Brendan

• robertom
    robertom
    Community Member

Thanks a lot! I was confused because to find the QR Code I had to press the option for Google Authentication app. Now I understand how it works.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@robertom Glad you were able figure it out! Let us know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.