Why Does the Chrome Extension Keep Asking for My Password Every 10 Mins Rather than Every 2 Weeks?

Leth02
Leth02
Community Member
edited November 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

i updated on macos to version 8

Since doing so, it asks me to enter my password every 10 minutes or so
in the chrome extension

I have the settings set to every 2 weeks, and i have auto lock disabled

I think it's a bug, is there a fix for this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Leth02, there is a known bug with auto-lock options in the extension. However, it only occurs when the 1Password app is not installed. If the 1Password app is installed, then the auto-lock settings would be applied from the app's preferences. If the extension and app are not communicating though, then that can lead to problems.

As a first step, could you let me know if you have the 1Password app installed? If so, what version of it is installed?

Next, could you take a screenshot of the 1Password extension auto-lock settings and share them with me? Here's how to do that:

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Go to Security and take a screenshot of that section there.
    3. Upload it to your response.

Once I get those details, I'll be able to assist further. Looking forward to hearing from you again!

• jacobkwright
    jacobkwright
    Community Member

I am having this same issue. Keeps locking less than 5 minutes after entering it in.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jacobkwright, could you let me know at what time interval is your extension supposed to lock up (according to your extension settings)? Do you use the 1Password app on your computer?

• AndrasCsanyi
    AndrasCsanyi
    Community Member

My 1Password started doing the same since yesterday. It is extremely annoying!

When my browser is idle for 15 minutes the 1Password locks and normally biometric (fingerprint) should unlock it. But, it doesn't. The Chrome extension always requires me typing in the master password.
    Btw, what does "idle" mean? I was watching YT videos and doing my daily job and if I don't use 1Password for 15 minutes it gets locked. So, I assume idle means the 1Password (either Chrome extension or the Mac App itself) is not used.
    The Mac App still works with biometric.

What I did so far:

• I restarted the browser
    • I restarted the whole laptop
    • I ensured that the Mac App is unlocked before I use Chrome App
    • I changed the lock time from 10 minutes to 15 minutes

None of the above have any change on the described behavior. The Chrome extension still requires me to enter my master password when it gets locked.

The app version: 1Password for Mac 8.9.14 (80914009)
    The Chrome Extension version: Version 2.6.0

Lock after system is idle for: 15 minutes

• cmondoux
    cmondoux
    Community Member

Also seeing this, have Mac App and Chrome browser. Settings = auto lock after 30 days.

• Hey @AndrasCsanyi, @cmondoux,

It seems like you may have been running into an issue we have just published a fix for in 1Password for Mac 8.9.15. Can you check your 1Password app is up to date and then let us know if you are still having trouble?

Apologies for the disruption!

• AndrasCsanyi
    AndrasCsanyi
    Community Member

Hi @steph.giles,

I really appreaciate your reply. I installed the new version you mentioned and I'll give it 1-2 days. Hopefully it works well.
    What I realized with the previous version was that the Chrome plugin locked the vault and didn't bring up biometric stuff rather asked for the password. This part made me annoyed and didn't feel the vibe of testing again.

I'll be back in a 1-2 days and let you know how things are going.

Thanks,
    Andras

• AndrasCsanyi
    AndrasCsanyi
    Community Member

I'm back. It works as expected! When 1Password gets locked (15 minutes) it brings up biometric to unlock. Perfect.
    Thank you for the quick fix!

• Hey @AndrasCsanyi,

Thank you for the update and I'm sorry for the trouble.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

This discussion has been closed.