Very poor performance with latest MacOS, Chrome, and 1Password

rehz
rehz
Community Member
edited November 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

Whenever I use the 1Password extension in Chrome on MacOS, I see the spinning rainbow wheel of death. When I use the keyboard shortcut to autofill in Chrome, Chrome seems to lock up for multiple seconds. This started happening after the upgrade to Ventura. Anyone else seeing similar issues?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.9.8 (80908009)
Extension Version: 2.4.3
OS Version: Ventura 13.0.1 (22A400)
Browser:_ Version 107.0.5304.110 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rehz do you have any issues when you click on the 1Password icon in Chrome's toolbar? Does the issue only occur when you try to use the keyboard shortcut to fill in Chrome?

There is a known issue with the keyboard shortcut, which stems from a Chromium bug and we've reached out to the developers at Google about it. I can provide more context, but I do want to make sure that I understand everything that's going on. If you can let me about the above, I will be able to help further.

• rehz
    rehz
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply @Joy_1P! It does seem like the performance issue only occurs when using the keyboard shortcut. I would love to learn more about the underlying issue and likely timeline for a fix.

• steph.giles
    edited November 2022

Thanks for getting back to us @rehz.

To provide some context, the issue with using a keyboard shortcut to unlock/fill via 1Password in Chrome stems from a Chromium bug: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1364487

We reached out to the developers at Google early on, and they have published a fix to Chrome Canary. Hopefully the fix will come to the stable version of Chrome sooner rather than later.

We suggest unlocking via the 1Password desktop app and filling via the inline menu until there is a better solution. Another option is to use a different browser (like Safari or Firefox), as they are not affected by this bug. The last option is to set up Chrome Canary, which we can confirm 1Password does work well there.

I hope this information clarifies what is going on with this particular issue. Let us know if you have any other questions.

ref: dev/core/core#17385

This discussion has been closed.