Website field for autofill on browser does not filter more than 3 domain levels deep (Windows/Firefx

TimKyn
TimKyn
Community Member
edited November 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

The autofill on Windows browsers seem to only look at 3 domain deep levels, e.g. if you have a domain name
level4.level3.level2.level1
and have an ID / password saved for a login on website domain called level3.level2.level1
and have an ID / password saved for a login on website domain called level4.level3.level2.level1
the 1Password extension will offer to fill either IDs/passwords when you load the level3.level2.level1 website, but it should only offer to the first ID and password.

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: 2.3.8
OS Version: Windows 10
Browser:_ firefox / chrome
Referrer: forum-search:Website field for autofill on browser does not filter more than 3 domain levels deep

Comments

• ChrisC1P
    edited November 2022

Hi @TimKyn I'd be happy to explain the behavior you are describing. I understand it can be frustrating when you are not being offered Login items you expected. 1Password doesn't currently support advanced URL matching for auto-filling. Although I cannot guarantee if or when it will be implemented, I will gladly add a vote on your behalf to our internal feature request. Let me know if you have any other questions or feedback. :)

ref:IDEA-I-57

• TimKyn
    TimKyn
    Community Member

Sounds good. How many levels down does it match to?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@TimKyn 1Password currently only suggests items based on the root domain. One of our developers shared why things were done in that way here: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/348474#Comment_348474

That said, that post was from 5 years ago. There are new ways for us to tackle the challenges that come with implementing advanced URL matching. It just hasn't been put into our development roadmap yet. Hopefully that can change in the future.

For now, I recommend giving your logins distinguishable names so that you can easily find and fill them on the correct domain. If you visit one specific domain more than others, then you can add the login for that domain as a Favorite so that it is always suggested first.

I hope that helps. Let us know if you have any other questions!

• TimKyn
    TimKyn
    Community Member

I currently have 5-10 login credentials show up for one of my subdomains (dev, preprod, prod), including my test users, functional users etc.
    Is there a way to order which credential shows up first in the drop down list so I can make the most used ones show up on top?

Do you have the feature request number for the "support advanced URL matching for auto-filling" that I can track or will you post a message here when it is available?

• Hey @TimKyn,

1Password will suggest all logins that contain the same base domain of the website you’re currently visiting and it should order them in a logical manner:

• Favorites that contain the base domain.
    • Exact matches of the base domain + sub-domain.
    • Other logins that contain the base domain (but might contain different sub-domains and other prefix/suffix).

So my best suggestion here would be to mark the logins you use the most as favorites, which should make them show up at the top of the suggestions list, making it easier for you to find.

The other suggestion as Joy mentioned would be to name your login entries with unique and recognizable names so it would be easier to locate the relevant entry. Naming your login items with unique and recognizable names would not only make it easier for you to locate the relevant login, but would also allow you to start typing the login item’s name (or username) inside the fields on the website, which will act as a “search” function in 1Password and will narrow down the list of options it suggests.

As for the feature request we don't currently have a way for you to track this but I would recommend keeping an eye on our release notes and I will make a note to try to update this thread when the feature becomes available.

Let us know if you have any questions.

This discussion has been closed.