Security tab in the 1Password desktop application is empty (no settings shown when Security clicked)

adrock0211
adrock0211
Community Member
edited November 2022 in Windows

UPDATE: This magically started working after I posted this. I swear, it was not working before. Figures, huh? I don't know how to delete this post though. If the admins could delete, that would be excellent.

I am tryingt to tell 1Password to stop locking when I lock my computer (browser remains open). I know the settings are in the 1Password desktop application. So, I follow the instructions on the forum and I open up the 1Password desktop app. Then I click on Settings. In here, if I click on General, Appearance, Privacy, or any other menu logo, the screen to the right changes and shows me the settings. However, when I click on Security...the screen doesn't change at all. Whatever tab I was on before (in the screenshots attached I went from Privacy to Security) as you can see it stays on whatever screen I was on before. No matter what I do, it will not show me the Security options.

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: 2.4.3
OS Version: Windows 11 Enterprise
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:settings security empty

Comments

• Hi @adrock0211,

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry to hear of these troubles you're experiencing when trying to navigate to the Settings > Security tab when trying to adjust the 1Password's auto-locking options.

Does this behaviour continue after a reboot of your device? If so, I'd like to recommend trying to uninstall and reinstall 1Password 8 for Windows.

I hope this helps but if you continue to see issues, please let us know so we can help look into this further.

• na51hog
    na51hog
    Community Member

I think I know why you experienced this transient 'wtf', as something very similar happened to me and I stumbled on the reason by accident. In my case, there was a Windows Hello fingerprint authentication request window (that I assume was triggered by clicking on the Security menu item) that required input but was overlaid by the 1Password window. Since the focus was on the hidden window it appeared nothing was happening. I am not sure if 1Password can be modified to allow the security validation to overlay its application window, or indeed if I am talking nonsense.

• Hello @na51hog,

Thanks for your message and feedback here. If you already have the 1Password app open and unlocked, Windows Hello should not be triggered unless you were making adjustments to the TPM setting or turning back on the Windows Hello setting in 1Password in the Security tab.

If your situation was different than described above and you are able to reproduce it, could you provide a detailed list of steps to help us recreate this behaviour and report to our Development team?

Looking forward to your reply.

• na51hog
    na51hog
    Community Member

• Hello @na51hog,

Sorry for the delay and the continued troubles.

Have you noticed this Windows Hello security appearing as result of any specific activity in 1Password, while you are already signed in? It sounds like you are not using Windows Hello to sign into the device, but into 1Password. Could you please confirm in an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

I'd also like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC, so we can take a look at the logs to what might be happening here:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• na51hog
    na51hog
    Community Member

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I think you may be making more of this than it is.

It's not causing me any problems since I discovered the workaround for the 'issue'. I only responded here because the initial poster appeared bewildered and I had serendipitously stumbled on the solution to the circumstance he described. Whether his setup matches mine, I don't know since he hasn't responded one way or the other. Here is what happens with me - detailed here and outlined in the image in my previous post.

My main Windows 11 PC is set to logon automatically - this is achieved, in my case, by running the o/s utility 'netplwiz' once and setting it up to behave that way,

With that done the PC will routinely progress to my desktop from a cold start without any authentication.

Now I run 1Password, go to settings and select the Security tab.

When I click on the tab, nothing seems to happen - the other tabs are responsive but the Security tab is not.

However, unknown to me, something has actually happened - 1Password has invoked Windows Hello Fingerprint authentication - presumably, and here I am speculating, because no one seems to have authenticated since the computer started. In response to this invocation Windows Hello opens a window asking me to swipe my finger on my reader, BUT, this request window is behind the 1Password application window, and so I can't see it.

To all intents and purposes, it appears that the Security tab is unresponsive, but actually, it's just waiting for control to be passed back from Windows Hello with an OK on my identity.

Once I understand the problem I can just move the 1Password main window to reveal the Hello authentication request and/or scan my finger to continue, at which point the 1Password Security tab opens and away we go.

I am not a Windows programmer and so I don't know what controls where and how new windows are drawn in relation to existing windows - underneath existing, on top of some or all, and so on.

If I was giving a manager's simple instructions to my programming staff at 1Password, I would say -

'Please ensure that when 1Password calls Windows Hello authentication, for whatever reason, the Windows Hello window appears on top of our 1Password application window'.

I hope that is clear because it's my best shot.

Thanks

Over and out

Neil

• Hello @na51hog,

Thanks so much for your reply and providing these steps to reproduce this issue with Windows Hello not appearing focused under this circumstance. I was able to reproduce this following those steps provided. I've filed this with the team to look further into this behavior with the Windows Hello prompt not appearing as focused.

We appreciate the feedback here!

ref: dev/core/core#19889

This discussion has been closed.