1Password regularly asking me press the browser toolbar button

hmarr
hmarr
Community Member
edited December 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I typically autofill passwords by clicking the 1Password icon in login form input boxes. Most of the time it'll just autofill right away. Some of the time I'd be prompted to use TouchID to unlock 1Password. But over the last few weeks I've suddenly started getting constantly prompted to "Press the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar to unlock". Clicking the button then triggers the TouchID prompt I used to see on click the button in the input field. Occasionally I'll still get a TouchID prompt right away on clicking icon in the input field, but most of the time it asks me to find the button in the browser toolbar.

It sounds like a small thing, but having to constantly hunt down the button in the browser toolbar is a minor annoyance that adds up as I do it tens of times every day. Is there a way to get back to the old behaviour of either autofilling right away (if unlocked), or immediately prompting for my fingerprint (if unlocked).

Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: 2.4.3
OS Version: macOS 13.0.1
Browser:_ Chrome 107

Comments

• bringoff
    bringoff
    Community Member

Yeah, and sometimes it then asks to restart Chrome to update, otherwise I need to enter a password instead of using touch id. I want to be in charge of updating my browser, and not obey some third-party-i-pay-for tool commands. I don't restart the browser for a reason. I.e, I have some open tabs I don't want to be refreshed.

• Hey @hmarr, @bringoff,

It sounds like 1Password in your browser is having a hard time connecting with your 1Password app.

The below steps should get things back on track for you:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit".
    2. Quit your browser by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open your browser and test if it is working properly.

This shouldn't need to be done too frequently, alternatively restarting your computer should have the same effect.

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.