Date shown/copied vs entered

stansult
stansult
Community Member
edited December 2022 in Mac

Hi! Is there a way to change a format of the date shown (and copied)?

When I enter the date, it is shown in M / D / YYYY format:

But after I save it, it is shown in M/D/YY format:

Same format (M/D/YY) is used when I copy it.

Is there a way to change the format it is shown/copied in?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.9.8 (80908009)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.6.1 (21G217)
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @stansult, 👋🏻

I wasn't able to reproduce this behaviour, could I confirm that these are custom date fields? I'd also recommend double checking that your system's date format is set up the way you prefer:

Lastly, there's a newer version of 1Password 8 available. If possible, I recommend checking for this:

Let me know what you find and we can determine our next steps from there. 🙂

• stansult
    stansult
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

Hi @andrew.l_1P

Your 1st screenshot cuts off the screen title.
    Assuming it might be Settings / Language & Region, mine looks differently.
    It doesn’t have Date Format:

I have updated my 1Password for Mac to 8.9.10 (80910043), and it still reproduces: video

• Hi @stansult,

Apologies, it is indeed the Language & Region settings though, so good find! It seems our versions of MacOS show this page differently. I'm using 13.0.1, if updating is an option for you.

Alternatively, does clicking the "Advanced" button in the bottom right of your screenshot show any additional options?

The current behaviour in 1Password 8 is to display (and thus copy) dates in the format chosen for the device, so based on how things are currently set, it seems 1Password is behaving as expected.

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

• stansult
    stansult
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply!

For now I’m staying on MacOS 12.6.1 − will probably upgrade a couple of months later.

I think I figured out how it works.

When I click “Advanced…” on the Language & Region settings screen, it shows me this:

On the Advanced / Dates tab, there are several date formats. Looks like the “Short” one is the one that affects what’s shown in 1Password 8. Changing it changes how custom date fields are shown:

Not sure if that was intended − personally, I like it better in 1Password 7, where this setting didn’t affect the full year shown. I have 1Password 7 on another Mac, and on that one changing the “Short” date format doesn’t affect what’s shown in custom date fields.

• Thanks for this breakdown, @stansult! The hope was that having 1Password respect the system settings for date formats would make for a more consistent experience across the device and those in regions that use different date formats could see them reflected in the app.

I'll log a feature request on our end for an option to choose which date format (short, full, etc.). Though ironically enough, the option to customize these to the same extent no longer exists in macOS Ventura. 😅

Glad you got to the bottom of it though and I appreciate your feedback. If you have any questions in the future, you know where to find us!

ref: IDEA-I-1347

This discussion has been closed.