Multiple OTPs - edge case

Grishkaone
Grishkaone
Community Member

Hello there ! 😊

First of all, I'm posting in the Mac section, but what follows is about 1Password as a whole.

The case I am addressing here is probably quite rare. But maybe I'm not the only one concerned.
1Password is an incredibly flexible tool when it comes to adding information to an item. For example, I have a "My Account" login winch work with two different OTPs.

The first one is for SSO login. The second one is specific to a particular access for security reasons. 1Password allows me to add a second OTP code to litem, it's perfect.

If I open Quick Access to select "My Account", I can copy the login, the password and the first OTP code. But it is not possible to select the second one.

Unless I forget, I have 2 solutions here:

• Create two separate items, each with their own OTP code. Depending on how often I use these accesses, it may make sense. But it doubles the maintenance: if the login is updated, it's not one but two items that need to be modified, with the risks of forgetting and error that go with it.
  • In Quick Access, I can open the item (cmd + o), scroll down to find the second OTP, click on it to copy it, close the window (escape) and paste it. Efficient, but not very convenient.

I am well aware that this type of situation is really uncommon, and that the two solutions above allow me to get out of it. But I wonder if it would be possible to consider other ways, without adding too much complexity?

• Quick Access could list by default all the OTP codes with their specific denominations to differentiate them?
  • Fantastic but difficult (I guess): being able to link a second OTP code to a specific URL. It would be used by default for this access, but the first OTP code would be used the rest of the time.
  • A third amazing solution that I didn't think of (help me Obi Wan!).

That's it (and frankly it's already a lot) for today!

I wish you all a good day. 🖖

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Grishkaone, 👋🏻

Thanks so much for sharing your use case in such detail! In case it helps, linking items may help with the first workaround you mentioned: Link related items in 1Password. Though I recognize this only helps keep track of things and doesn't necessarily help with increased maintenance. I think you've otherwise already captured the best possible workarounds in the current version of 1Password 8. 😅

As far as potential future solutions though, we do have an open feature request to customize what users see in Quick Access, so I'll add some notes about your use case to that. I'll also log a feature request for URL-specific OTP matching! While I can't make any promises, it always helps to have specific use cases like yours to inform feedback, so thank you!

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-969
    ref: IDEA-I-2331

This discussion has been closed.