Creating a Masked email from Fastmail when the browser extension doesn't help out.

gct3o
gct3o
Community Member
edited December 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I went to a Health Insurance website that required an email address to provide information about their services. I did not want to give them an email address I use so I thought I would use 1Password to create a Masked Email account tied to my Fastmail account. Unfortunately 1Password did not give me the opportunity to create one. The attached figure shows what I see in Safari and the 1Password extension. I can go create the Masked email in Fastmail directly I think. But it would really be nice to have a way to create it in the 1Password app especially because the 1Password extension is not as dependable is it should be at this point in its life cycle.

Let me know if I can help

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: 2.4.1
OS Version: 13.0.01
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @gct3o, what is the website where you're seeing this issue? Are you still able to still created a Masked Email on other websites? You can test it out via our test form: https://fill.dev/form/registration-email

• gct3o
    gct3o
    Community Member

I had the issue on the site https://www.healthcare.gov. It brought up a pop-up window asking for information and the second item was an email address. I do not recall anything in the pop-up indicated that I was registering myself. I went to Fastmail and created a masked email and then used it to complete the process. Which of course was registering me.

I tried the link you provided and it did not seem to work there (attached screenshot). I assume I should be seeing something about creating a masked email correct?

Not sure if it matters but I am using extensions for DEVONthink, Hush and StopTheMadness on my MacBook Pro. I also have "Content Blockers" enabled by default in Safari.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gct3o, sorry for the late reply. After reviewing the Email field on healthcare.gov, I do see that it's not behaving as expected. I will report that to our developers.

In the meantime, I'd like to see if the Fastmail integration is working on your end. Can you go back to https://fill.dev/form/registration-email, click into the Email field, and see if you get the option to "Create Masked Email"? It would look like this: https://share.cleanshot.com/DUV9pm

Please let me know how that goes.

• gct3o
    gct3o
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

No worries, & sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I performed your test it and it did work (screenshot attached). Now that I am thinking about using this more I have had several additional instances where I would like to create a new masked email address and have yet to see the "Create Masked Email" in the pop-up. I am still finding the extension to be quite inconsistent in the "new" so perhaps there is something going on under the hood that I am not able to describe yet.

Realize this is a feature request but it would really be nice if I could create a new masked email with a keyboard shortcut. Then I am not dependent on the extension recognizing that the field.

• Hey @gct3o,

No need to apologise.

Thank you for your feedback, we do have an open feature request to be able to manually create a new masked email if 1Password doesn't suggest one so I will add your idea to this. In the meantime, if you have Fastmail open in the browser, you can generate a masked email there, copy it, and then paste it into the form on the page. I realize this is not ideal, but it should achieve what you're looking for.

On occasions where you are not seeing the option to create a masked email please let us know the website URL's so we can take a look and try to improve the behaviour in a future update.

I hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions!

ref: IDEA-I-640

• gct3o
    gct3o
    Community Member

Hi step.giles,
    I do have another use case for you.

I am installing Adobe Bridge and Adobe wants me to provide an email address. So the installation process is running on my Mac and the dialog provided by Adobe does not "know" about 1Password so the only way I can add a masked email address is to login to my fastmail account, create the masked email and then enter it myself. If there was some way to create the masked email it would obviously simplify things greatly.

Screenshot included if my description was confusing.

• Hey @gct3o,

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Currently it is not possible for 1Password to offer to fill a masked email when creating an account in an app as opposed to a website. I can definitely see how this would be beneficial though so I have passed this feedback on to our product team for consideration.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know ways in which we can improve 1Password, let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

ref: PB-31188299

• gct3o
    gct3o
    Community Member

Thanks very much!

• You're welcome @gct3o,

Have a great week!

This discussion has been closed.