1Password8 Offline Vault? (Why force online when even Outlook had a bug that sent unencrypted data?)

Zeri
Zeri
Community Member
edited December 2022 in Mac

Hello,
I've been using 1Password for a long time (since version 5) and I feel bad for it now.

I will start my post with this quote from your Team Lead a few years ago which seems laughable now specially the "great lengths" part:
Kate Sebald emphasized that the company will "go to great lengths to preserve [the] choice to use local vaults, even if we are encouraging new users to make a different choice."

And I was even willing to accept the sad subscription-based model, but you have completely eliminated Offline Vaults in 1Password 8. It's like you're forcing us to send our data to your servers even if we don't want to sync them between devices!

Yeah yeah sure it's encrypted before being sent, but even Outlook the mail app from "Microsoft" in 2017 sent unencrypted mails for MONTHS before they realized and fixed it!

Anyways, I think it is too late here now...

The reason I took the time to write this here instead of just switching apps, is because I have a huge amount of data in 1Password gathered over YEARS. Now I have no idea when the abandoned version 7 (last version with offline vault support) will stop working in new macOS versions so I have to spend days and days to make sure everything is correctly transferred to a new app and it is really painful to know all of that is because I made the mistake of choosing you in the first place...

I had to search for the past few days to finally find 2 alternatives that are on Mac AppStore and are not subscription-based, they work completely offline (while offering iCloud/other methods of sync if a person CHOOSES to sync) and support Touch ID on Mac too, but the pain of making sure all data is transferred correctly remains...

Enjoy, I'm out.

1Password Version: 7

This discussion has been closed.