Feature request- Custom Dictionary

blturner
blturner
Community Member

I would like to be able to use my own dictionary for the password generator. The built in one has gotten out of hand. It has words with negative connotations. Extremely long words. Words that are not really in normal peoples vocabularies. Words that are just two words put together so I end up with an eight word password when I asked for a four word one. I end up hitting the generate button over and over then give up and edit it down to something reasonable.
I know that technically this appears to improve security, but the users I work together with are rebelling at the complexity, and rightly so. If I want a super complex password that no one will have to type or remember I use the random generator. The memorable generator should be exactly that. I always have to add a capital, number and special character to make Microsoft or whoever satisfied anyway. So increasing the word count in the dictionary is counter productive.

1Password Version: 8.9.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @blturner, 👋🏻

Thanks for your feedback here. While I can't make any promises, we do have a couple open feature requests that cover what you describe here. One of them is the ability to edit a generated password before committing to it, which I suspect would help with the capitals/special characters that often need to be added to memorable passwords.

If you're comfortable sharing, I'd also like to know what words you've come across in the memorable password generator that had negative connotation. If you prefer to connect over email for that, we're always available at support+forum@1password.com.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks again for this valuable insight. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-1445
    ref: IDEA-I-1469

This discussion has been closed.