To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Feedback from a 1P v7 to v8

Options
1PCommunityUser
1PCommunityUser
Community Member
edited December 2022 in Memberships

This is post that is not really meant as question feedback only but more to detail the issues encoured when moving from 1Pasword 7 to 1Password 8. I had advised friends and family members to use 1Password, some of them reached out to me who had encoured similar issue.
I hope this will lead to and update of the 'how-to' knowledgebase articles. I won't lie, this has been very time consuming and keeps one remaining uncertain regarding possible data lost which will only be noticed at a later stage.

A) Originally running 1Password 7 on macOS (latest v.7.9.6)

• standalone vault
  • individual license

B) Offer displayed in the corner left on macOS for a 50% rebate

• clicking on it required me to create a new password. Wasn't sure why. Operation canceled.
  • {Solution} After contacting support, it seems that one cannot turn his/her individual license account into a subscription one. A new account must be created. Then data migrated*

… in the meatime:

C) Preparing migration

D) Creating a new account - see B)

• I click on the offer button in the macOS app, create a new account. Both account are now visible in the macOS appliaction
  • Turns out there is no way to select the 1Passwords’ ‘.eu’ domain. Clicking the offer means you are forced on the ‘.com’ domain

E) Migration - not so fast

• Now data is in the cloud of my standalone account, I thought I can migrate everything to the subscription account. Not really...
  • Contacted support: there is no such tool. One must copy/move data via the macOS app while logged-in in both accounts
  • ‘Not good’ is the first thought: How can one be sure that data has been synced witthout fault i.e. mirrored in its entirety?
  • I proceed to move data as per the knowledgebase - https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/

• Error 1: “The following itmes were not moved to the vault’ - {a very long list of items} ‘Items with files can’t be move from an account on one server to another”

• 20% of my 1Password entries have documents attached.

• Error 2: Archived entries are not being transfered

• {Solution} Lucky me I tagged ‘to be archived’ relevant entries allowing for (i) restoring, (ii) copying / moving to new vault, (iii) re-archive

F) Miscellaneous
I tried the export function: once data was in the cloud this keept failing (i.e. window remains opens for hours, nothing happens)

Feedback / Questions / Lessons

• Backup your standalone vault before moving to the cloud. That seems to be the most reliable form of backup;
  • I wish there was a tool that validates or verifies the data migration from one account to another. It is impossible in my case to manually verify almost 2000 entries;
  • If you have a standalone vault, DO NOT migrate data to the cloud without first making sure that you have a subscription account;
  • The knowledgebase should clarify if one updates to 1password 8 first and then migrate taking into consideration if the clien has a standalone license account or a membership license account;
  • Why can't a standalone accounts be transfored into a subscription ones?
  • Why can't entries with attachements be moved from one account/vault to another?
  • How can entries with attachement actually be transfered besides doing so manually

Thank you for reading it all and taking this input into consideration

1Password Version: v.7.9.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.0
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

This discussion has been closed.