Chrome extension + textarea shows stored logins on arrow keys

With the 1password chrome extension it's not possible to navigate up/down in textareas with the arrow-keys up/down on the keyboard if there's a stored password for this domain.

Whenever one hits up or down key, the extension displays the login. If one hit's escape, the overlay with the login goes away, but the up/down arrow keys just put it back on.

Example: github.com pull request template. When one edits the template (with sometimes lots of text in it) you can not go lines up or down which is really a showstopper for using the extension (see screenshot attached).

Is it possible to remove the overlay for textareas and / or make it configurable?

Thank you,
regards
Sascha

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.9.8 (80908009)
Extension Version: 2.5.0
OS Version: macOs 13.0.1 (22A400)
Browser:_ Google Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:textarea

Comments

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @saschahepp, you can remove the 1Password icon and inline menu from your login fields by doing the following:

1. Right-click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar and select Settings.
    2. Scroll down to Autofill.
    3. Turn off "offer to fill and save passwords" and "show autofill menu on field focus".
    • If you do not want SSO suggestions, you can turn off the other two options in that section as well.

After that, you would be able to use the up and down arrow keys without any interference.

To fill your logins, you would have to do the following:

1. Click on the 1Password icon in your browser's toolbar, select a login, and select Autofill.
    2. Use Universal Autofill via a keyboard shortcut to fill: https://support.1password.com/mac-universal-autofill/

I hope that helps!

• sfpass
    sfpass
    Community Member

OK sure a solution is to essentially disable the addon, but...like... why is 1password doing this for textarea?

I think the proper fix is for the extension to avoid "attaching" to textareas, and for the 1 in 1 million sites that use textarea for a login, well, they are SOL and need to click the button.

That makes a lot more sense to me instead of ruining the product experience for all of your users who use github and other sites with textareas...

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @sfpass, I had misread your original post. 1Password should definitely not appear in the comment box from your screenshot. The strange thing is that I'm unable to re-create the behavior from your screenshot: https://share.cleanshot.com/nzWI6A. Could you go into more specifics about the steps you're taking to get to the textarea with the suggestion?

• sfpass
    sfpass
    Community Member

I can reproduce easily - once I enable the settings I get it anytime I create a new issue, or edit an existing one. NOTE: Not comment, the issue description is the problem. Perhaps there is some state in the extension that displays/hides the prompt? Maybe try going to github and don't use the extension to sign-in?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@sfpass the best way to hide the prompt is with the steps in my original post. However, if the prompt is popping up incorrectly, as with the textarea in your screenshot, then we do want to report it to our developers.

Again, I'm unable to reproduce the behavior. Are you able to make a screen recording of the steps you are taking to get to the issue and then share that with us?

Make sure that the recording does not contain any sensitive/private info. Feel free to attach the recording here or send it to us at support+forum@1Password.com.

With your email please include:

If you send us an email, you should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

Hi, I am experiencing the same behavior with Firefox 108.0.2 and the extension v. 2.6.0 in an internal CRM we have. There are no items to suggest, so the list is empty:

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @finwe, what is the name of the CRM? Would you typically enter a customer's billing address in that field? Is that the only field where 1Password is making a suggestion that you'd like to not see?

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    edited February 2023

Hey @Joy_1P, it's a custom made CRM built on Angular. Yes, it contains an invoicing address. And yes, it is the only field that gets the 1Password suggestion.

Just for curiosity sake, the HTML of the textarea looks like this:

<textarea _ngcontent-npm-c392="" rows="7" formcontrolname="issuer_address" matinput="" class="mat-input-element mat-form-field-autofill-control ng-tns-c109-80 ng-pristine ng-valid cdk-text-field-autofill-monitored ng-touched" id="mat-input-7" data-placeholder="Fakturační adresa" aria-invalid="false" aria-required="false"></textarea>

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@finwe gotcha. In that case, it seems that 1Password recognizes the field as an address field and makes suggestions correctly. 1Password is just unable to differentiate between fields in a CRM (where you'd enter third party info) and fields on other forms (where you'd typically enter your own info). If you're able update the HTML, I would recommend adding the attribute autocomplete="off" to the field. Doing that doesn't remove the 1Password icon from the field, but it will keep the inline menu suggestions from automatically appearing.

Alternatively, you can do the following to dismiss the inline menu suggestions:

• Press ESC on your keyboard.
    • Click on a blank area in the page to remove focus from the field.
    • Click the little 1Password icon on the right side of the field to toggle it off.

If you'd like to take things a step further and prevent the inline menu from automatically appearing on all sites in your browser, you can do the following:

1. Right-click the extension's icon on the top right corner of the browser and select Settings.
    2. Go to Autofill and turn off the "Show autofill menu on field focus" option there.

I hope that helps. Let us know if you have any other questions!

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member
    edited February 2023

Thanks for the explanation, @Joy_1P

What is the usecase to allow such "smart" quick filling addresses from the password manager in the first place?

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2023

@finwe we actually don't provide an option to fill things like name, phone number, and birthdate from the inline menu. Of the data in an Identity item, only an address can be filled from the inline menu. The other data have to be filled from the extension icon in the browser's toolbar.

Ultimately, we've found that filling an address from the inline menu is more convenient for a higher number of users than not. That being said, we can understand why some users prefer not to have 1Password fill addresses. We do have a feature request to turn that off, and I can add your voice to it. Hopefully it is something that our developers will consider in the future.

ref: https://1password.productboard.com/insights/notes/view/1227-all-notes/notes/31082033

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

The option to turn filling addresses off sounds great, thanks!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@finwe you're welcome! Thanks for your patience and understanding.

This discussion has been closed.