what happens if 1 password is down? (do clients with already synced data have still access?)

Options

dear 1pw team,

as in some cases it could be very critical to reach passwords i have a very specific question:

as 1password runs on a cloud infra. let it be the case this infra would break (for whatever reason)

will clients that have synced data already before, still be able to access all those credentials, documents, files, ... ?

on mac?
on Iphone?
on chrome plugin?
on windows device?

or is this a question i should rather ask support?

Chris

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Christian_XYZR

The short answer to this question is that it would be exactly the same as if you took your device offline – it doesn't make a difference if 1Password.com is offline or if you're offline. Items in 1Password on that device would still be available, but attachments wouldn't be, since they're fetched on demand, similar to many email clients. Syncing would, of course, not work either and would be delayed until the next time 1Password is able to "phone home" to 1Password.com.

Give it a try by using 1Password with your device offline, and let me know if you have any questions or need any further help. :)

— Grey

• Christian_XYZR
    Christian_XYZR
    Community Member
    Options

hi Grey,

thanks for the reply. can i enforce sync of important documents?

chris

• ScottS1P
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hello @Christian_XYZR,

can i enforce sync of important documents?

1Password doesn't currently offer any options around how documents and attachments are synced, but 1Password 8 on Mac, Windows, and, Linux tend to cache the encrypted files locally for a while. This means that the files are usually available offline if you have accessed them recently. 1Password 8 for iOS and Android clear the cache much more quickly and will likely need to be online to view any documents or attached files.

I'd be happy to share your feedback about this with the team. Can you let me know what you had in mind for enforcing the sync of documents? For example, would you want to mark a single document as something that should be kept locally? Would that be a setting for your device, all of your devices, or for every team member in an account? Would you prefer such a setting apply to an entire vault? Whatever sounds best to you, or whatever you had in mind, let me know.

Thank you,

• Christian_XYZR
    Christian_XYZR
    Community Member
    Options

hi @ScottS1P ,

i think either it would make sense on vault base OR on "ITEM / Document Base" and it would apply to all users / devices that have it.

chris

• Hey @Christian_XYZR,

Thanks for clarifying how you'd like the setting to work, and for contributing to 1Password's evolution. I've shared your feedback with the team for their consideration. I don't have any information regarding if or when this could be implemented, but I hope we are able to add this to 1Password.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts or information on your use case you'd like me to share.

Have a good weekend

ref: IDEA-I-2376

This discussion has been closed.