I am trying to setup 2fa on my devices. Do I need to install authy on my iMac or just my phone?

sjperk
sjperk
Community Member

I am having issues installing authy on my new mini mac with m1 chip. I do not have webcam to take picture of the QR code but do I really need it on my mac if I have my phone with authy?? Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:2fa

Comments

• Hello @sjperk! 👋

I don't use Authy myself but I believe that you can just install it on your phone without also having to install it on your Mac. Installing Authy on your Mac would give you convenient access to your one-time passwords without having to go get your phone every time.

However, for a more authoritative answer, I suggest that you contact Authy. They can also help you with installing their app on your Mac if you wish to do so. 🙂

-Dave

• sjperk
    sjperk
    Community Member

Thank you for your help. It seems many just use 1password to for authentication but not sure how to use it if the site I want is not listed on their 2fa list of supported websites.

• @sjperk

You can use 1Password as your authenticator app for two-factor authentication by following the steps in this guide: Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

The site doesn't have to be listed on 2fa.directory, it just needs to support the TOTP standard and offer a QR code that you can scan using 1Password. Let me know if you run into any issues. 🙂

-Dave

• sjperk
    sjperk
    Community Member

This is really helpful and I appreciate it. I have a mac mini which does not have webcam

• Hi @sjperk,

When setting up 2FA, you should be presented with a QR code as well as a text equivalent. This code will serve the same function as a QR code and can also be entered in 1Password. Here's an example while editing an item in the 1Password 8 Mac app:

First add the one-time password field to the item:

That will create a field where you can enter the code or click the QR code to the right to scan your screen:

The code will usually appear alongside the QR code:

This may vary from site to site though, so look out for links that say "use 2FA key instead" or something similar.

Once entered, you can save your item and you'll see your new one-time password appear in the field along with a timer showing you how long the current one will be valid:

Let me know how this goes or if you have any questions. 😊

• sjperk
    sjperk
    Community Member

Thank you for the info. Merry Christmas

• @sjperk – On Andrew's behalf, you're very welcome. Happy holidays from all of us! 🎄⛄️

This discussion has been closed.