Bug: Firefox extension says Firefox needs update but browser disagrees, broken desktop integration

xnor
xnor
Community Member
edited December 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I have the most up to date Firefox installation for my OS, and I have the most up to date 1password desktop app and browser extension.
If you look in the graphic you'll see that Firefox thinks it is up to date but the 1 password browser extension thinks it isn't.

I'm not sure if this is a side effect or something different but I used to only have to unlock the desktop application and the browser extension would also be unlocked (can use biometrics for that) but that no longer works, I have to unlock them both separately.

I have tried restarting both Firefox and 1password as well as entirely rebooting my computer, the problem remains.

1Password Version: 8.9.10
Extension Version: 2.5.1
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Browser:_ Firefox

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hey @xnor !

I'm using Firefox 108.0 and have the latest beta extension (v2.6.1) installed. No problems here.
    Maybe you also could try the latest beta build? 🤔
    https://1password.com/downloads/browser-extension/#beta-downloads

• xnor
    xnor
    Community Member

Okay, I just did that, Version 2.6.1, after removing the old plugin and installing the beta then restarting Firefox, I still get the same behavior. I have to separately unlock the browser plugin and the desktop app and can't use bio-metrics for the browser plugin.

There is a difference though, this beta plugin doesn't think Firefox needs an update..

• Hey @xnor,

It looks like you may be running into an issue that is affecting some users on MacOS 10.15. My first suggestion would be to update your MacOS to the latest version however I understand that this may not be possible.

We have published a fix to the latest nightly build of 1Password for Mac if you would like to give it a try:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Click your account or collection at the top of the sidebar and choose Settings.
    3. Click Advanced, then set “Release channel” to Nightly.

Let us know how you get on!

• ddoern
    ddoern
    Community Member

I'm running 1Password 7.9.8 with Firefox 108 on an iMac running MacOS 12.6.2 (latest MacOS my older machine can run)

I upgraded MacOS last night and now clicking the "i" icon (top menu bar, if that's the right term) doesn't open 1Password in Firefox. When I switch to Chrome clicking the icon opens 1Password normally.

I've never had this issue before, seems pretty clearly related to the new MacOS.

• Hey @ddoern,

I'm sorry for the trouble, can you start with the below steps to see if it improves things:

1. Right click the little 1Password icon on the top menu bar of your Mac (where the clock is) and select "Quit".
    2. Quit Firefox by right clicking its icon in the Dock and selecting "Quit".
    3. Open and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open Firefox and test if it is working properly.

In addition, I would recommend updating to 1Password 8 to enjoy all of our new features and fixes. Here's how: https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/.

Let us know how you get on!

• xnor
    xnor
    Community Member

Hey @steph.giles ,

I updated to the nightly channel and everything is working as expected now!
    Is there an ETA for the next "Production" release that might have this fix? I would probably switch back once that is out.

Thanks!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @xnor! We don't have an ETA on when the fix will come to the production version of the app. However, you can keep up with our release notes here: https://releases.1password.com

That will be the best to find out about all updates and fixes!

• Hey @xnor,

Good news! You can now update to 1Password for Mac 8.9.11 where we have published a fix to the stable version.

Have a great weekend!

• xnor
    xnor
    Community Member

thanks @Joy_1P and @steph.giles

• @xnor on behalf of Joy and Steph you are welcome! Let me know if you have any questions or feedback about how we can improve 1Password.

• ddoern
    ddoern
    Community Member

Thanks for the fast reply Steph. A restart solved the problem before I got to your steps.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@ddoern That's great to hear!

This discussion has been closed.