How long will v7 for macOS and be supported?

Options
wagnerone
wagnerone
Community Member
edited December 2022 in Business and Teams

After many complications, complaints, and serious workflow issues incurred by changes/modifications/deletions of features between v7 and v8, our company is looking to move back to v7 wholesale for the time being at least.

What is the long term support timeline for v7 products?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I assume it has, but searching for such a thing didn't yield anything useful as of yet.

View 1Password's Approved Answer

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hello @wagnerone! 👋

With the launch of 1Password 8 for Mac, 1Password 7 for Mac is no longer supported and will only receive important security updates. I strongly encourage you to use 1Password 8 going forward.

We're very interested in learning how we can help resolve the workflow issues that your company is running into. I'd encourage you to reach out to your account manager or our business team at business@1password.com to discuss this in more detail.

-Dave

1Password Approved Answer

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @Dave_1P.

That's unfortunate. I've made many posts in the forums and been in contact with various reps, etc. I haven't gotten any significant traction. I'm just tired of fighting v8 related complications. I see no real way to submit bugs or feature requests with any modern, real sort of tracking. I will reach out to the business team again.

• Hey @wagnerone,

I've sent you an email so we can dig into any problems you are having or check into any feature requests you've made. Check your inbox for an email and reply back to us whenever it's a good time for you.

Cheers,

ref: Zendesk-91297

• drewe20001
    drewe20001
    Community Member
    Options

I (and many others, probably) am disappointed by this. While I fully understand the need to transition and keep moving forward, 1Password 8 has essentially been unusable for me. It gives up way too much and even worse introduces many difficulties. I am someone who will suffer through changes for the sake of long term improvement, absorbing complaints from family and friends (and employees) until we get past those hurdles. This feels different. I've been a customer basically forever, I value supporting AgileBits, I have been a 1Password evangelist to anyone who would even slightly listen, and this year transitioned my growing company to 1Password. Perfect timing... ( 😥 ) because unless things change pretty significantly in 1Password 8 we will have to reluctantly invest in finding another choice. I can be patient for now because 1Password 7 works as well as it ever has, but eventually I can't count on that.

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    Options

@ScottS1P Thanks! I responded this morning and look forward to any additional assistance you may be able to provide.

• wagnerone
    wagnerone
    Community Member
    Options

@drewe20001 Well said and I concur on many points. I purchased 1Password in 2007 and have been evangelizing actively since then, but I've stopped cold since v8 came into my life. I'm very saddened by this turn of events. I've never once considered looking at the competition before v8 for myself or my company, but I have now, which bums me out.

I think non-power users won't bee too awful upset and that may be the overwhelming majority of customers, so stripping out all the "advanced" features maybe makes sense monetarily? I have no idea the reasoning.

That said, the ssh integration, while interesting confuses me as there are so many quality of life features (not to mention long term, core functionality) left by the wayside. I long ago figured out ways to manage hundreds of ssh keys outside of 1Password, so I'm uninterested.

Sure, add new features, but I just want feature parity with the product I used for many years. :(

Sometimes I wonder why I keep harping on this and posting seemingly in vain about it. It's unlike me to be passionate enough about a software utility to post and keep trying, but I suppose that is in indication of how dedicated I've been.

• Hi @wagnerone,

Thanks for sending us an email. I got your message and will continue the discussion with you there.

@drewe20001 - I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulties with 1Password 8. Please email support@1password.com so we can discuss what's gone wrong and see if we can help.

• nciiis
    nciiis
    Community Member
    Options

We are also considering moving back to a previous version, current version is costing too much in terms of usability issues and security flaws.

• Hi @nciiis -- Thank you for the feedback! I’ve replied to you in the original thread, let’s continue the conversation there. Here’s a link to my reply: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/668169/#Comment_668169

This discussion has been closed.