Use SSH Agent in latest beta without config snippet in ~/.ssh/config

Options

SSH Agent settings are potentially trying to be too smart and/or helpful in the latest beta of 1Password.

I don't keep the config snippet 1Password gives in ~/.ssh/config as I sync my dotfiles across various machines and operating systems.

Instead I place the following in ~/.ssh/config:

Include ~/.local/ssh/config.d/*.conf

And place the snippet 1Password gives in ~/.local/ssh/config.d/1password.conf on each machine which I use 1Password on.

But with the latest beta version of 1Password, the SSH Agent settings are not available until I explicitly place the snippet into ~/.ssh/config. This is rather annoying, as I need to exclude/ignore these lines when syncing my dotfiles between machines.

Hence I'd suggest a manual override/confirm to access full SSH Agent settings even if 1Password seems to think that it's not setup correctly.

Or alternatively, maybe 1Password could start a local SSH server with a built-in authorized key, and attempt to connect to it silently approving the one special built-in key to verify if 1Password's SSH Agent actually gets used. Feels hacky, but would be more reliable with the various ways ssh can be configured.

1Password Version: 8.9.11 (80911014)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.0.1 (22A400)
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• floris_1P
    edited December 2022
    Options

The SSH config gets parsed for a smooth setup flow, but you guys are totally right that it should not require this check to pass and consequently "lock you out" of your settings. We're working on a fix for this and we'll keep you posted! As a workaround for now, you can indeed add the snippet directly to your ~/.ssh/config file or move to the stable release channel instead of the beta channel for now.

This discussion has been closed.