ChatterBoss is providing 1Password, how will i migrate my data later, if relationship changes?

Options

I have signed on as client with ChatterBoss who will provide a 1password account. I hope to use it. But need confidence that, if/when the arrangement ends, either the account ownership can switch to me, or that my passwords can be migrated to a subsequent personal 1Password account. Thank you

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:migrate personal passwords to a personal account from provided business account when i leave

Comments

• Hi there @leescohn

If you're joining a Business or Teams account, I'd like to think that the admin(s) of that account will have some formal onboarding and offboarding processes.

Offboard a team member

That guide is designed to show account admins how to safely protect the leaving user's data, and the data still in their Business or Teams account.

You will always be able to export data from your Private vault: How to export data from 1Password. Depending on your permissions for shared vaults, you may or may not be allowed to export those too. Talk to your account admin about any company policies regarding that.

If you leave ChatterBoss, my advice would be to make sure that an account admin goes through the steps shown in the offboarding article linked above so that neither you nor they lose anything important in the process.

I hope that answers your question fully, but please do let me know if I can be of any further help. :)

— Grey

• leescohn
    leescohn
    Community Member
    Options

thank you for prompt reply.
    i am concerned my situation is a 'corner case' which may have less common conditions
    ChatterBoss will be performing some services on my behalf under contract
    The arrangement includes a provided 1Password account which they will provide,
    from which i presume i will share access as neededs to them as delegate.

But if/when the arrangement ends, I will want my 1Password service to continue under my ownership and control

alternately i could initiate my personal 1password account now,
    but then be paying again for a service included in my fees

• @leescohn

If they're using a 1Password Business account, you can sign up for a 1Password Families account which will be free of charge as long as you're still an active user on the Business account: Get a free 1Password Families membership when you use 1Password Business.

Once you leave the Business account, your Families account would automatically become read-only until you add a payment method.

At least that way, you can have somewhere you can store your own personal 1Password items and you wouldn't have to pay for it. :)

It might be worth putting this question to the account admin to see what arrangements they have in place for situations like yours. If you need any help or have any questions based on what they say, do let us know and we'll be here. :)

• leescohn
    leescohn
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

thanks again. there remains disconnect in the discussion, sorry i am not being clear
    does this image help identify the type of account?
    ALL of the passwords used in the 'provided' 1PassWord account will be to accounts/services in MY name

thank you for your efforts

• Hi @leescohn,

I've removed the screenshot from your last reply, since it included private information that you may not have wanted others to see.

The message does make clear that you are being invited to join another account, which means that someone else ultimately owns, pays for, and controls the account. That's normal for businesses inviting employees, but not ideal if it's just a friend or someone you don't trust very much. Account owners are able to suspend or delete team members within their account at any time, so you shouldn't join unless that is intentional.

Furthermore, there is no way to take such an account with you when you leave such a team. You can move information out of the account while you still have access, but would need to ultimately sign up for a distinct account of your own before you lose access to their account.

At this point, I'd suggest emailing support@1password.com and including a link to this discussion in your message. We may be able to talk more openly about your situation and how you want to proceed.

I hope this information helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

This discussion has been closed.