Possible implementation of shared data with spouse (what works well and is most secure?).

Options
dubh01
dubh01
Community Member

Hello dear ones,

As spouses, we want to make sure we can handle anything important if something happens to one of us (let's hope it never does).

We own the family account, meaning we could share the most important passwords in a specially created safe. Alternatively, we could also store each other's password and secret key in our own vault (in principle, all data would be there). What might speak against this is the fact that if one user is compromised, then of course the other user will also be affected with the master password and the secret key? Are there possibly any other options or ideas as to what works best and in the best case is also as "secure" as possible?

What are your experiences and tips for an implementation?

Many greetings and a Merry Christmas. :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided

Comments

• Hi there @dubh01

I'll give you the same advice I just gave to someone else in a similar situation! :)

The highlights of that are:

• Keep a copy of your Emergency Kit somewhere safe so that it can be used by a family member should the worst happen, and
    • Don't store your account password anywhere except in your own brain and on your Emergency Kit.

If you're the Family Organizer, you can also recover another family member's account, as long as you have access to their email: Recover accounts for family or team members.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or would like any further help. :)

— Grey

• dubh01
    dubh01
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the inspiration and comment. The Emergency Kit I had actually so no longer thought or included it in the consideration. Sounds conclusive to me and so far also after a quite reasonable implementation. What comes to my mind, I currently have an entry in my personal safe with my personal access data including secret key. Should I delete this entry from the safe after printing out the Emergency Kit for security reasons or is this "not absolutely" necessary? I know, this might be a strange question, but often it is a balance between comfort and security. Would still be interested to hear what you guys on the team think about it.

• @dubh01

You're welcome! It sounds like you're referring to the "1Password Account" Login item in your Private vault. You can keep that where it is. There might be times when you need easy access to that information, such as when signing in to 1Password.com, and while you can get it all from your Emergency Kit, having it ready to autofill in 1Password already is very handy. Hope that helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.