What is the difference between the two types of auto fill?

I primarily use an iPad and when logging onto a website most of the time there is no auto fill pop up near the password and username fields. Most of the time in order to fill the fields in need to press the prompt at the bottom of the browser which then asks for my 1password password. If the finger print reader successfully reads my finger it’s not so bad however a lot of the time I need to enter the password because the iPad didn’t read my fingerprint

1Password Version: 8.9.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 15.6.1 on an iPad 5th gen
Browser:_ Safari
Referrer: forum-search:Trouble with auto fill

Comments

• sreesebdc
    sreesebdc
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

my question is why the two different auto fill types and why doesn’t the one up by the username box pop up consistently? It’s often AWOL or pops up late. Pretty frustrating….

• ag_tommy
    edited March 2023

@sreesebdc

There are two distinct fill possibilities here. One fills user names and passwords in apps and websites. This is useful for folks who do not use the Safari browser. The one your arrow points to.

Use 1Password to fill and save on your iPhone and iPad

The other, the top image in your picture is filling directly from the browser and only works with Safari. It also cannot fill apps. But it can fill credit card details and other items where password autofill cannot.

Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

I use mix of both. If you're mainly a browser user I would recommend 1Password for Safari.

most of the time there is no auto fill pop up near the password and username fields.

Please make sure that the login contains a matching URL. If no matching URL (site and within 1Password) is found, then no suggestion will be made.

• sreesebdc
    sreesebdc
    Community Member

Hi @ag_tommy, thanks for trying to help! What will interfere with the password not filling from the browser? I have tried several different websites today and (of course) it works perfectly 😕 every time today the browser on the IPad fills the password unfortunately this has not been the case so what can keep the browser from filling each and every time? I know how to work around the issue however my wife…not so much. 1password is great and I’ll renew forever if it will work consistently on my wife’s iPad

• @sreesebdc

The most common reason we see for the inability to fill is the site or app uses a different URL. Is there a site that often causes you trouble we can look into?

• sreesebdc
    sreesebdc
    Community Member

I wish it were that easy however it appears to be most websites and the behavior is very erratic the other day it worked in the browser perfectly, since then it rarely performs the auto fill correctly. When it doesn’t fill I will touch the password box which will bring up the username and password, sometimes I have to touch the 1password icon at the top to get my iPad to auto fill anything and then other times I have to unlock 1password before it will suggest a username and password, other times it’s just slow and when I’ve all but given up it will auto fill. Any idea what causes these issues? Thanks

• @sreesebdc

Please email us where we can try to work with you one on one. This will let us share screenshots as necessary to illustrate different area. It'll also give my colleagues on the email team a chance to look into the slowness you mentioned. Please use support+forum@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question.

This discussion has been closed.