Watchtower Suggestions not consistent between Apps / Web In 1Password 8

Options
Ind3X
Ind3X
Community Member
edited December 2022 in Mac

I reluctantly upgraded from 1Password 7 to v8 today, mainly because I see value in using 1P for autofilling passwords in the OS prompts and apps, which I feel is a decent feature upgrade from v7. However, I've noticed some discrepancies between the iOS, iPadOS, Mac and Web versions, where some watchtower advisories are showing in 1 app or the web, but not in others. An example is Mac version shows only Reused and Weak passwords. In iOS, I see these advisories along with info about sites that have 2FA capability which is not currently enabled.

Is this a known issue and if not, how do I resolve this so all my apps advise of the same issues? Thanks

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Latest
OS Version: MacOS Ventura
Browser:_ Safari

Comments

• Hi @Ind3X,

Sorry to hear Watchtower isn't displaying consistently across devices. Could I confirm you're viewing the same account/collections across the apps? The score itself may vary depending on the device, but the alerts you see for reused passwords, 2FA, etc. should be the same.

The only outlier here will be 1Password.com on the web since collections haven't made it there yet and some Watchtower categories are different. We intend to better align these in the future, but I'm happy to help troubleshoot Watchtower in the apps in the meantime.

Let me know and we'll figure it out from there. 🙂

ref: IDEA-I-1716

• Ind3X
    Ind3X
    Community Member
    edited December 2022
    Options

Hi @andrew.l_1P ,

I only have 1 account and 1 vault so yes, I am viewing the same info across sites.

Since I originally posted, my desktop app has now updated with 'Inactive two-factor authentication' field visible in the watchtower overview page. I'm not sure why that didn't show up initially. The information between my device and desktop apps now appear to be aligned. However, the apps are not aligned with the 1password web app. I am still unable to see an 'Inactive two-factor authentication' card in the watchtower overview page (in the browser) and the reported numbers between the browser app and all my other devices do not match up - The web app reports higher numbers for 'weak' and 'reused' passwords.

I can also see a 'vulnerable passwords' card in the web app which doesn't appear in my devices apps, but I assume this is because I do not have 'check for vulnerable passwords' selected in the app settings, so this is expected.

Any idea why there is a discrepancy in the reported numbers for the other items?

In the browser, If I click on the individual categories under the Watchtower heading, I can see entries in the 'Inactive two-factor authentication' category, but the amount of reported websites in this section is again higher than reported in my device apps.

****Note**** I replied before I fully read your entire post, so I believe the issue with the 'collections' not being the same is answered, however, should the numbers still add up?

Thanks

• Thanks for the quick reply, @Ind3X! Glad to hear the apps are all aligning now.

I also see some differences when comparing the apps to 1Password.com. Watchtower on 1Password.com doesn't seem to detect certain item categories, nor does it seem to recognize subdomains. For example, 1Password.com tells me I have a reused password because "website.com" and "billing.website.com" are two different URLs, but the Mac and Android apps don't flag this.

I don't know all the ways Watchtower on 1Password.com differs off the top of my head, but I can say the suite of 1Password 8 apps are our most up to date product so if you're to rely more on one to monitor your security, I'd recommend the apps.

Let me know if that helps makes sense of what you're seeing!

ref: IDEA-I-1439

This discussion has been closed.