MFA for Google Account; how to get Google to give me a QR code?

Options
geekneck
geekneck
Community Member

I want to use MFA for my Google account but cannot find out how to get the QR Code from them. They only list SMS, Security Key, and some kind of Google App on my phone. How do I get them to just give me a QR Code to setup MFA in 1Password?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.9.11 (80911019)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Monterey
Browser:_ Chrome
Referrer: forum-search:gmail m4a qr code

Comments

• Hi @geekneck,

The option for the Google Authenticator app should give you the QR code you need to add a one-time password to 1Password. Give that a shot and let me know how it goes. 🙂

• geekneck
    geekneck
    Community Member
    Options

@andrew.l_1P I dont see an option for Authenticator. When I set up MFA, I get this screen

The only thing that seems promising is Google Prompt. I choose that and see this

I have no idea how to get a QR Code from that screen. Thanks fr any suggestions

• Thanks for the quick reply, @geekneck. When I go to my personal account, I can find the option under Security:

Clicking 2FA there shows me my phone I have set up and then when I scroll down there are additional measures I can add. The option that generates a QR code is found there:

It may be the case that these additional options are only available after setting up the phone number or device prompt you captured in your screenshots. Does clicking "Show more options" in your second screenshot give better results?

• geekneck
    geekneck
    Community Member
    Options

No, it does not. I am reticent to give my phone number to google

• @geekneck

If you're not seeing the option for an authenticator app in your Google account, it might be best to ask Google Support for some help:

☞ Google Account Help

Once you have a QR code you can scan, or a TOTP secret you can copy and paste, you'll be able to add it to your Google item in 1Password:

☞ Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

If you run into any trouble adding the QR code or TOTP secret, please let us know and we'll be able to help you with that. :)

This discussion has been closed.