What is the difference between the "notes" field in saved login entries and "Secure Notes"?

BoredPanda
BoredPanda
Community Member

I am moving from LastPass and am manually changing all my passwords, usernames, PINs and Security Q&As. I usually store PINs and Security Questions/Answers in the "notes" field of the login entry. Should I be using Secure Notes for these items instead?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser:_ Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Difference between "notes" field and "secure notes"?

Comments

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited December 2022

You can add such data to the "Notes" field, or better, you can add arbitrary custom fields to every entry. To the corresponding login entry, simply add a custom field of type "password" for a PIN, and for a security question the same or a text field. You can customize the field label, and fill in some text as value. Write the question into the field label, and the answer is the actual (hidden) value.

A "Secure Notes" item is the most generic entry 1Password offers. It has no predefined fields, just one text field. You use it for text that doesn't fit to any other existing entry. A digital version of your will perhaps, or some other secret text, may be with a file attachment. For my part, I have almost no secure notes. I created one for the Bitlocker recovery key of my laptop, and one with my old exported Chrome passwords as file attach for archival purposes. Data such as yours can be saved better as custom fields to existing items. Most of my login items have custom fields added by me.

• BoredPanda
    BoredPanda
    Community Member

Thanks so much!

• I am glad to see that Tertiu3 was able to assist you. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

This discussion has been closed.